DC "Soup Nazis?"

darkstar965

First, for any that don't know the reference, the "soup nazi" was a fairly hysterical character on the immensely popular American televison comedy "Seinfeld" who was brusque, condescending and outright obnoxious to his customers but....served damn good soup. Very short clip here. Whether you know the character or not, totally worth watching:

Second, an article from today's Times about largely NY restaurants that do it THEIR way and decidedly not YOUR way:

http://nyti.ms/gVU1It

And, finally, the question, what spots in our area (DC, MD, VA) are of like spirit? Of course, in the best of ways.

My contribution: Pasta Mia in Adams Morgan

Why:

- Doesn't matter if it's 20 below and there's room to wait inside, you wait...outside...until open time or until they feel like opening.

- Once seated, you wait more. Maybe 20 or 30 minutes. Maybe an hour or two. Don't like it? Too bad.

- Cash only. Doesn't matter if you're a party of six. Cash or cash. That's your choice.

- Want to customize, change or substitute something? Think again. Ain't happening. Push it a bit and you're outta there!

- Couldn't someone help the chef so he'd be faster/more efficient? Doesn't have to do everything himself right? Guess that's a reasonable thought but talk to the wall with that suggestion.

- The food? Pretty damn good. They make the pasta in house. Rich homemade sauces. Huge portions. One dinner feeds two with ample appetites.

Are there others?

I don't understand the love for Pasta Mia. Dame Edna and I went there once, to support the local businesses doncha know, but never felt like going back. We have certainly seen the lines to get into the place on many, many occasions and just had to wonder why. It's for people who don't know how to throw a quick pasta dinner together with ingredients amply available in the 'hood. I suppose it is a large step up from the Jumbo Slice of pizza, but still.