Thai Food, Thai Music & Dance, Thai Souvenirs

All members and friends are welcome.

Free admission

Time: Sunday, April 17, 2011

from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

Wat Thai Washington, D.C.

13440 Layhill Road, Silver Spring MD 20906

Link

*By the way, is there any comparable type of festival/event (i.e. large, informal, welcoming, open to the public, etc.) around DC that offers similar access to authentic Indian food?

Pax,

Brian

*By the way, is there any comparable type of festival/event (i.e. large, informal, welcoming, open to the public, etc.) around DC that offers similar access to authentic Indian food?

The only thing that comes to mind is Diwali, the Indian New Years festival, but I can't remember it being well publicized or anything.

I went to the Songkran festival this past weekend. I got there at 9 am and there was already a good crowd.

I queued up in the longest line at the food stands, and I found myself enjoying a floating market noodle soup at 9 in the morning. The lady who runs the stand was surrounded my roast pork and other pig parts. Naturally, I got one with everything for $6. The broth was really good- savory and sweet, with a kick of spice as you continued to eat. They used square flat rice noodles that were in small rollups.

I poked around at some of the other stands, and negotiated like Chris Rock for loosies. "How about a handful of soda for a quarter?" I liked these tapioca balls filled with pork and chiles, pork meatballs on bamboo sticks, and fresh made pork rinds.

For dessert, I had durian fruit with sticky rice from another stand with a long line, but worth the wait.

Pics