Proposal: DC Menu Collection Project

sphere777

Hi there,

I was reading a story in the Boston Globe about the city's glorious food past:

Food City

In passing, the author noted that the New York Public Library had collected over 700 menus from one 19th century restaurant in just 4 years (1862-1865).

So I wondered whether future generations would know what we ate. Thus, this proposal. Is anyone else interested in collecting and saving menus from DC right now? If I can find sufficient interest, I would be glad to figure out if the DC Library or the Library of Congress would be interested in participating. If they aren't, maybe a local college is. The rest of the collection process should be easy to suss out.

I will only go ahead with this unless at least 15 people evince real interest or am persuaded by a few folks who REALLY want it to go forward. Let me know if you definitely want to participate, preferably in this thread or by PM if you are shy. B)

Rob

I've always been interested in menu collections, probably because my alma mater had a small collection of menus.

Interested, most likely, because as a poor college student, steak and eggs for under two bits sounded nice!

Matt,

I've been thinking about this concept and I think that two people might be able to do it. Hit me backchannel if you are still interested.

Rob