Top Dog Half Smoke Challenge - May 1, 2011

Great event! (except for the weather) Firefly won with a fennel sausage topped with bacon chili. I voted for Liberty Tavern's short-rib half-smoke.

Red Apron had a pretty interesting stack of three different sausages on a toothpick (one of the sausages was pickled). My other favorites came from PS7 and the Source.

Great event! (except for the weather) Firefly won with a fennel sausage topped with bacon chili. I voted for Liberty Tavern's short-rib half-smoke.

Red Apron had a pretty interesting stack of three different sausages on a toothpick (one of the sausages was pickled). My other favorites came from PS7 and the Source.

Really fun event and if they make it an annual thing they have another space they could probably double the size of attendees next year. People seemed to be having a very good time, all you can eat plus a cocktail or giant beer for $20 will do that (honestly they could probably double the entrance fee). My favorites were Lyon Hall/Liberty Tavern and PS7. I thought Red Apron's stack was a way to get product out quickly, but I didn't think the three sausages really came together. It was interesting to see how some places like Red Apron and BLT Steak served what was essentially a small bite, while places like Lyon Hall/Liberty Tavern, PS7, and Urbana served essentially an entire sandwich. I don't know how the judges could really consider all of those on the same playing field, but whatever.

Pics here - and probably half the food blogs in the area.