Simple Tomato Salads

darkstar965

At the risk of yet again using a wrong thread (in this case a new one) for a post or question, I have a small one about some of the many types of tomatoes discussed in another thread here about all the varieties of heirloom, field, Joe Riley, Dean Gold and other farmers market varieties. Oh, and thanks to all who posted on that thread--learned a ton.

Having a dinner party tonight with some special VA pastured grilled steak and an uruguayan chimichurri recipe I've used before with good results.

At Dupont this morning, I arrived early and picked up ~10lbs of brandywines, cherokees and valencias (thanks again tomato thread posters!) with just a couple small german stripers for contrast. My plan is to make the world's best ever tomato, red onion salad that can hold its own in visual drama and life-changing taste. Best ever at least for me which is a pretty low bar :mellow:

The question: I know if the tomatoes are really great (which maybe they are but maybe just shy of that), less is more. Sea salt, fresh ground pepper, bit of quality olive oil and some fresh chiffonade basil from the garden. What about capers? Good to add those too or overdoing it? Haven't ever used capers in a salad like this but have noticed it in some restaurants and online recipes.

So, capers...good idea or not so good idea? And, anything other tips given my goal of a great tasting and eye-catching tomato salad?

note: i've made many caprese salads over the years and also salads combining tomato with avocado but not going in those directions tonight since I really want the tomatoes to be the star.

Thank you!

Thanks for the capers pov, monovano. Totally did the trick; the salad was a big hit.

Chimichurri recipe is from Steven Raichlen. Haven't put a recipe up on dr.com before but will just put it here:

- 1 bunch fresh italian parsley

- 1 small head garlic broken into cloves (8-10 cloves in total)

- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated with a box grater

- 1 cup evoo

- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar

- 1/4 cup water

- 1tsp salt

- 1 tsp dried oregano

- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

1. combine parsley and garlic in a food processor and pulse to chop as finely as possible

2. Add the carrot, oil, vinegar, water, salt, oregano, hot red pepper flakes, and black pepper

3. Process to mix

Should be highly seasoned. Check and adjust vinegar, salt or pepper flakes to taste as necessary

Best to make an hour or two before serving

Will keep in a refrigerator for several days

Great in place of a marinade for excellent cuts of flavorful steak. Different countries in S. America do different versions of this. Parsley, garlic, oil and salt are always the basic 4 ingredients. Other ingredients can vary and some will use onion, red bell pepper, fresh hot chiles, etc. I've tried some of those but always come back to the basic recipe above. It's always a huge hit with grilled beef. Tonight, some vegetarians dining with us had it with a shrimp dish we made and even with the tomatoes---never would have thought of that but the stuff is pretty addictive so guess it can be more versatile. But really for steak.