Luca 2009 Syrah: Saturday Night Wine @ $18.99

Joe H

I love wines like this: mouth coating, jammy, rich; the WS comments below include "plum sauce and fig notes." I am sipping as I type and this is really a very good description. I've also included Parker's review, similarly 92 points. The Costco in Fairfax just took delivery of this retail $25 wine and are selling it for $18.99. A very big wine for the price. Perhaps even a remarkable wine for the price. Anyone reading this who is into K Vintners, Cayuse or other Walla Walla syrahs will absolutely love this. Fantastic "legs" on the glass, too. Also love its "official" name: Laborde Double Select.

Score: 92

Release Price: $25

Region: Mendoza

Issue: Dec 15, 2010

Designation: Smart Buys

A ripe, flamboyant style, with lots of creamy-textured toast, melted licorice, plum sauce and fig notes, backed by a dense core of black currant, boysenberry and Christmas pudding flavors. The finish is long and rich. Drink now through 2011. 2,000 cases imported. –JM

Rated 92 - The 2009 Laborde Double Select Syrah (named after viticulturalist Luis Laborde and his unique vineyard) was sourced from 47-year-old ungrafted vines and aged for 14 months in 50% new French oak. Purple in color with a delectable nose of smoked meat, Asian spices, incense, blueberry, and blackberry, on the palate this layered effort is ripe, succulent, and incipiently complex. Give it 2-3 years of additional cellaring and drink it from 2012 to 2024. - Robert Parker

Last, the winemaker's own notes are awesome. Awesome!!! "The nose is like walking into a gentlemen's poker parlor." (Hyperbole that I am jealous of!)

"Beautiful deep purple color, tilting the glass the shallows are a soft rose. The nose is like walking into a gentlemen's poker parlor: aromas of cigar, leather, and smoked meat fill the nose with hints of toasty oak, forest floor and baking spice. Rich, lush, and mouthfilling on the palate. Well structured tannins support big fruit flavors of blackberry jam, black spiced cherries, ground black pepper and just a hint of rhubarb. Nice, long, lingering finish. L3—lush, long and loveable. Pairs well with grilled or smoked meats such as beef, pork, and lamb, and dishes prepared with mild cheeses or wild mushrooms."