Cooking breakfast for a crowd

thistle

I signed up again for the FRG breakfast fundraiser-last time, I brought hash browns (& woefully underestimated the demand, I think we served about 50-75 people), & spicy cheesy shrimp & grits (which were a hit, although everyone was asking what's the calorie count, I'm watching what I eat-I served small scoops, which were appropriate for breakfast).

This time, I'm in for sausages (pan-fried ahead of time, in an electric skillet), & the shrimp & grits casserole again-trying to think ahead for all contingencies, last time, we had blown circuits, LOTS of people, a crockpot of eggs that self-destructed (but it was still generally a success, in that lots of people got a good, hot breakfast & we raised money for FRG)...anyone have any other ideas of what I could bring (0 dark 30 Wed morning, or minimal prep the night before)?

I'm thinking about a smoked turkey salad (green onion, celery, mayo, country ham) on a biscuit, could smoke the turkey & make the salad ahead of time, then make biscuits & assemble that morning....

I haven't ever cooked oatmeal in a crockpot (don't own one), but I know that Alton Brown did a show about it. I'm thinking that in a crockpot this is something you could start the night before and transport cooked and hot in the morning, without having to either re-heat or get up super early to prepare. So, to make my super yummy spiced coconut-banana oatmeal, use 1/3 coconut milk, 1/3 skim milk, 1/3 water with a 3 or 4 to 1 ratio, depending on your oatmeal. I use Bob's Red Mill steel-cut oats and typically do 4-1 and a long slow cook. I think rolled oats would work 3-1, but definitely do not use quick-cook oats, in any case. Add to the milks/water: cinnamon stick(s), vanilla bean (or extract), ground ginger, ground cardamom, fresh grated nutmeg, a little bit of ground clove or allspice, cut up ripe banana, golden raisins, optional other chopped dried fruit (figs, apricots, dates, cherries) and a good pinch of salt. Bring liquid to simmer temp and stir in the oatmeal. Cook on stove top at low heat (with a flame tamer), stirring occasionally, for about an hour. Or lowest heat overnight in a crock pot.

This is almost sweet enough to not require additional sugar, but brown sugar is a good addition and some whole milk or cream. It can be eaten without imbellishments and still be luxuriantly delicious like a dessert, almost, but with the advantage of being "healthy."

Zora, thanks, I'm definitely going to try the crockpot oatmeal at home for me & the kids. Unfortunately, the breakfast was initially cancelled for training, then they decided they could fit it in, but I didn't get the message, & missed the breakfast...