CPR class

thistle

Ok, I don't want this to sound like a public service announcement, but I took a CPR class today, along w/ my 2 kids. It was offered courtesy of my husband's previous place of work, & since I hadn't taken a CPR course since I was much younger, I figured it would be a worthwhile refresher. While I hope to never have the occasion to use it, I feel better knowing that I'm up to date on the latest standards. I was surprised to find out that my high school age son had gone over CPR last year in gym/PE.

The current standard is 30:2, 30 compressions, followed by 2 breaths-the instructor told us to think of ' Beat It' or Queens' 'Another One Bites the Dust' (which I thought was ironic, & immediately became my CPR theme song). After first calling 911(or having someone else call), you do this for 5 cycles, approximately 100 compressions/minute for 2 minutes. He also showed us how to use an AED (automatic electronic defibrillator). I was surprised by how hard you have to press, & yes, while it can cause injury, the alternative is worse. We also covered infant CPR & choking victims.

Like I said, I hope I never have a chance to try this (I've been around someone who had a seizure & also someone who had an allergic reaction that simulated choking), but I now feel better prepared. My instructor was great, he had a story about a guy that stopped him briefly (he's an Army medic), & asked him about CPR, he gave him a 10 minute overview, & the guy actually got to use the info, when someone at his church went into cardiac arrest, & he got the AED & performed CPR, & saved the guy's life. So, if you have an opportunity to take a class, or just read up on it, I encourage you to do so...

I'll tell you, that ratio changes all the time! Good to know it's 30:2 now. I know that compressions are seen as even more vital than breaths.

I've taken CPR many times as part of being in healthcare and needing to keep my certification current, and it's a vital skill to have for emergencies. Time and money very well spent.