African American Restaurateur and DC's First Race Riot

Waitman

This Wednesday night a good friend of mine, Jefferson Morley -- a journalist who has spent many an hour at my table -- will be reading from his book Snowstorm in August: Washington City, Francis Scott Key and the Forgotten Race Riot of 1835 (review here). If you're at all interested in DC history or the early days of the abolition movement it's kind of a must- (and rewarding, and excellent) read.

What makes it relevant to this crowd is that one of the book's central character's, Beverly Snow, is a free former slave who runs one of Washington's first and foremost fine dining emporiums -- until he gets caught up in the riot -- the "Snowstorm" -- that explodes after a teenage slave is accused to trying to murder his mistress.

I am assured by Jeff that the focus on this reading will be focused on Beverley's story rather than abolitionist pamphleteering and, indeed, Cakelove magnate Warren Brown (yeah, I know, he's not popular here, but whatever) will open the evening with a discussion of of the history of African American cuisine in the city.

It's a great book, it should be a fun evening, and there will be free cupcakes.

Busboys and Poets, Wednesday, September 12, 6:30-8:00

"Snow-Storm in August paints a radically new picture of our city's early days with a burgeoning free black population and abolitionist movement clashing with pro-slavery authorities embodied by one Francis Scott Key, the famous author of the Star Spangled Banner. Beverly Snow's inimitable success stirred up trouble but also launched the city's rich traditions of fine dining and African-American entrepreneurship."

Thanks, Waitman, for bringing this event to light.

I put the bug in Dame Edna's ear. Not the least bit interested in Warren Brown's cupcakes (see the earlier "scientific" experience with Porcupine and Logan Circle), but am interested in the subject. And, Eatonville is just around the corner. Can I just say how much I love that Langston Hughes' stint as a struggling working man is recognized, along with the hometown of Zora Neale Hurston? It makes folk ask about the names and maybe learn something. Beautiful!

Thanks, Waitman, for bringing this event to light.

I put the bug in Dame Edna's ear. Not the least bit interested in Warren Brown's cupcakes (see the earlier "scientific" experience with Porcupine and Logan Circle), but am interested in the subject. And, Eatonville is just around the corner. Can I just say how much I love that Langston Hughes' stint as a struggling working man is recognized, along with the hometown of Zora Neale Hurston? It makes folk ask about the names and maybe learn something. Beautiful!

Looking forward to seeing you there.