An interesting "Garagiste" offer

B.A.R.

Friends,

I took advantage of the recent warm spell here in the nation’s capital to explore one of our most overlooked, and lightly regarded, areas of natural splendor. The holidays are a busy time for me, and when an opportunity presents itself to revel in all the beauty that nature bestows upon us, I gladly jumped at the chance. Too often in my pursuit of vinous perfection, I focus on the minutiae of components of the final scintillating elixir; the passion and soul of the vignerons toiling to gently shape, to craft, what nature has provided. I travel the world searching for God’s beauty in a bottle, but sometimes, that beauty is found right under my nose. And it is that rare occasion when my single minded focus stumbles upon that beauty, that unquestionable perfection, in a strange place. In a strange package.

Today was just such a day. And the Anacostia River is just such a place. Friends, I implore you to read on.

I slipped my kayak into the river at the Anacostia River Boathouse and paddled north, through Kingman Lake and into the labyrinth of creeks, tributaries, and hollows north of Kingman Island. Friends, you can trust me when I say the beauty of this majestic little parcel of water and land rivals any in the Mid-Atlantic.

As the sun bathed me in a golden warmth and the steel blue water lapped at my boat, I was lost in the splendor and could not have foretold the impending confluence of nature’s bounty and man’s craftsmanship that was about to present itself. I slipped my craft onto a small alluvial shoal and took a sip of Badoit when I spied a Great Blue Egret out of the corner of my eye. Elegant and majestic, this creature’s extended legs and elongated, pencil thin beak were perfectly crafted to precisely pluck the small fish and pollywogs abundant in the pools beneath its feet. The normally bright plumage had darkened, masking its lean profile against the tangle of weeds, brush, and leaves along the shore. Such a simple sight and so magical.

Just beyond the noble creature, trapped under a confusion of twigs, was a splash of red. Intrigued, I glided quietly past the heron and inched close enough to spy the second moment of bliss of the day. This one man made but the equivalent of what nature had wrought. It was a discarded box of Samoa’s. The Girl Scouts have been producing cookies in large scale since 1936. Friends, I can attest that there is no better treat to ruin your ill-advised New Year’s Weight loss resolution than these tasty little morsels. The scant amount of cookies in each package foretells the contents preciousness.

There is a great amount of concern amongst the cognoscenti about unhealthy aspects of large scale food production, and rightly so. But I ask you, friends, have you tasted one of these damn things? They are scrumptious. And they do use Palm Oil, for what it’s worth. And I am told that the high fructose corn syrup in them was an accident. And that guy was fired.

Friends, an opportunity like this presents itself only twice a year, or every time you go to the grocery store from now until June. The lots offered have no limits, and have been impeccably sourced by Isabella Reymann (full disclosure, she’s my 9 year old daughter, blah, blah, blah).

Nikki is out of the office dealing with a bad case of gastritis, so please feel free to PM me with your orders. I will deliver and ship them as necessary. Payment due upon receipt.

It was a discarded box of Samoa’s. The Girl Scouts have been producing cookies in large scale since 1936. Friends, I can attest that there is no better treat to ruin your ill-advised New Year’s Weight loss resolution than these tasty little morsels. The scant amount of cookies in each package foretells the contents preciousness.

Friends, an opportunity like this presents itself only twice a year, or every time you go to the grocery store from now until June. The lots offered have no limits, and have been impeccably sourced by Isabella Reymann (full disclosure, she’s my 9 year old daughter, blah, blah, blah).

What's the "seasonal" cookie on offer this go-around?