Thanksgiving Farm Winery, Harwood, MD

I'd like to recommend Thanksgiving Farm Winery, which I visited last Sunday. While it's only open from 1-5 on Sundays, it's only 20 minutes from DC. It is unique for Maryland in that the wine is only from grapes grown on the property. There are three wines for sale: A Meritage (59% Merlot, 24% Cabernet Franc, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 7% Petit Verdot); a Rose (Merlot, Cabernet Franc, and Cabernet Sauvignon); and the Franc Blanc, which is a white Cabernet Franc developed because people were asking for a white wine and the Cabernet Franc was the grape that worked best. There is also a Port that will be released soon; I was fortunate to taste it and really enjoyed it.

The tasting room is small and you drive through the farm buildings to get to it. I'm glad I did. The owners were wonderful. They'll tell you all about how they make their wine if you want to hear about it and they're very enthusiastic. While I don't have near the experience of some of the posters on this board I thought that it was some of the best wine I've had in my 8 years or so of wine tasting in Maryland and Virginia. And in my wine tasting experience the prices can't be beat ($15 for the Rose, $18 for the Franc Blanc, and $25 for the Meritage).