Golestan Salted Pistachios

DonRocks

Every once in awhile, a dr.com member is kind enough to drop me off a "Care Package." Thanks to one of our community of Persian ethnicity, I got a little care package (which includes perhaps the best homemade baklava I've ever eaten).

Golestan is a company based in Tehran - almost 100 years old - that makes packaged goods, in particular pistachios. I've been enjoying the red package on the bottom (plain, salted pistachios), and wanted to say "thanks" to my dr.com friend.

http://www.heartofthedesert.com/ are pistachios from Heart of the Desert" in Alamagordo. They are known for their green chili and garlic as well as pictachios with Hatch chili pepper powder. Respectfully, I have both been to their farm and hand carried their products (including unbelievable pistachio brittle) home. You can also order for Fed Ex ground delivery which shows up by Saturday if ordered on Monday.

I prefer these over the Iranian pistachios. All of this (including the adjacent Pistachio Tree Farm) is near the White Sands Proving Ground. Locally they are thought of as "atomic pistachios."

Everyone I know from the Middle East has told me Iranian pistachios are the best, and I was able to try some when I was in Cairo.  Fantastic.  I think the trees are old enough that they have the flavorful varieties instead of those bred for size over substance.  I also have some saffron from Iran that is incredibly good.  Now I have to try the radioactive pistachios too.