Amphora Bakery, Vienna and Herndon

Demetrius

It's bakery is the former home of Mom's Apple Pie in a Herndon industrial park. It's a charming bakery with, overall, good cakes and pastries. I would still have this a notch or two below either Heidelberg or Pastries by Randolph in Arlington. I still prefer the original Mom's which has an "outpost" nearby and has moved their actual bakery to Sterling. Amphora is much more diverse of course.

Has anyone been to Amphora Bakery, and if so what are your thoughts, etc...?

I won't go. Back when I was in wedding planning mode, someone suggested them as a source for the cake. I made an appointment , timed it to coincide with other trips to to Virginia and then called the morning of to confirm. They denied the exisistence of the appointment, told me I was lying and said they were too busy to deal with me. Nor could they reschedule the appointment--too busy.

Sigh...

I happened to drive past a few weeks later (after hiring Ann Amernick to do the cake--the single best wedding decision I made after picking the groom...) and stopped in. Two clerks, no other customers, not a single greeting, not a "how may I help you". I stood in front of the cases for five minutes and left without buying anything because they couldn't be bothered to help me.

I did know someone who worked there briefly and the food samples he brought me were nice enough.

Jennifer