A brief update...it's been four years since I posted here.

--Here's one for Tweaked.  There's a good Peruvian chicken place in Calabash.  Mmm...Que Rico is excellent.  The flavor reminds me of El Pollo Rico in metro DC--the owner is from Peru and knows the El Pollo Rico people well.  His wife makes very good empanadas and the sides are pretty standard for a Peruvian chicken joint.  My wife likes it so much that she insists we make the 30-milw round trip at least once a week.

---There is finally a very good pho place.  The Saigon Cafe in Myrtle Beach has the best pho in town, as well as other soups and Vietnamese dishes.  The broth is very, very good.  They also have pho ga, make with a very good chicken broth.  There are a couple other pho houses in the area, but this one is the best.

---La Rinconcito Salvadoreno in the Windy Hill section of North Myrtle Beach has very good pupusas, as well as a large menu of other Salvadoran dishes.  I stick with the pupusas.

---La Poblanita in Myrtle Beach continues to set the standard for Mexican food. 

• Like 1

Calabash, NC

Five years later and Mmm...Que Rico is still good.  The spicing isn't as robust as the DMV pollo places, but they do a good job.  I would stick with the dark meat, the breast meat was a little dry.  Good plantains and chorizo sausage.  The rest of the sides are average.  If you are tired of the fried Calabash style seafood, Mmm...Que Rico is a good choice.  Closed Saturday and Sunday.  

Along the main drag of Calabash, is a collection of small cottage style huts.  Coffee Cottage does a good job for coffee.  They do lean hard on the crazy coffee concoctions, but when the parents only drink decaf, a large cafe mocha really hits the spot.  The cottage has a small seating area and the vibe is friendly hippy chic.  Across the way is a small used bookstore, Books and Moore, as well as the Calabash Garden Tea Room and Gift Shop.  This little cluster is a one stop shop for your caffeine and used bookstore needs.  All are closed on Sunday.

Coastal Craft Beverage Company is a good spot to find North Carolina craft beer.  They have 18 taps with NC beer (Asheville, Charlotte, Raleigh, Wilmington areas) and according to their website 155 beers in cans and bottles, again primarily NC.  It looks like they update their website every couple of days.  They have funky hours so check their website.  Also closed Sundays.  

• Like 1