The Mar 22, 2016 Terrorist Attacks on Brussels - Over 30 Dead in Attacks in Two Locations

DonRocks

I read with interest Dave's thoughtful post here about whether Muslim's need to self-police. I wish I had something to contribute - my instinct says "yes," but I really don't have an answer.

This incident is serious enough where I want to get a post out about it today, but I really don't have much more to say - in the words, of Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?"

But I can merge the Rodney King incident and the Belgian terrorist attack - I think - by saying that regardless of what your stance is on Muslims: are they "all" bad? Are "some" bad apples bad? Are "none" of them bad and it has nothing whatsoever to do with the religion, I see a parallel between the way people should think of Muslims, and the way people should think of American Police: are they "all" bad? Are "some" bad apples bad? Are "none" of them bad and it has nothing whatsoever to do with the profession? It seems to me there should be a consistency of thought between the two.

Clearly, there are those who have grown to distrust all Muslims, and clearly, there are those who have grown to distrust all American Police. I am neither - I care for my fellow person, regardless of their chosen religion, and most certainly because they chose the profession of protecting our well-being. Call me a naive optimist, but that's what I *want* to think.

I've slept two hours this evening already, and just woke up, so I may not even be thinking clearly about this issue right now - it just seems serious enough where I should acknowledge it in this forum. It's something I was thinking about earlier this afternoon in the car, and it just seems like, while the circumstances are different, they both involve a small percentage of "bad apples," and that we should all love our brothers and sisters.

I hope this makes sense; I'm not sure it will tomorrow morning because I'm pretty tired. Peace be to everyone.