We had brunch earlier today to make up for a disastrous dinner last night at a local Vietnamese place in the Castro (Jasmine Garden, (708 14th Street (Church Street)). The waitstaff didn't hear that I had ordered chicken pho even though I repeated my order a few times. As a result, I never received my entree. The steamed bass that B ordered was somehow mixed in with glass noodles and a thick cloying sauce. Strike another local place off our list which we won't be returning to anytime soon.

Brunch was much better, in spades.

Monsieur Benjamin
451 Gough Street (Ivy Street)

http://www.monsieurbenjamin.com/

DSC02735-001.JPG.5c157538f2fac578892ed3dfa546bd02.JPG

It's a beautiful glass enclosed space with an open kitchen, a marble counter, one communal table, several two- and four-tops and an outdoor seating area.

The room can get loud. At the time we were there, it was half-full and eventually became three quarters-full. Lots of wooden surfaces, glass surfaces, hard edges and square corners mean that there's no sound absorption. You can hear your partner if he or she is sitting next to you but you might have to speak louder than normal in order to make yourself heard by the staff.

That is a valid criticism that we have, so take it for what it's worth.

DSC02738-001.JPG.61733446e40facfcd61cb01ef01db24b.JPG

Butter lettuce salad with fines herbes and radishes.

Very lightly dressed. B loved it, even with the minute amounts of tarragon that were present in the vinaigrette.

DSC02741-001.JPG.72208e8ea77f1d515d8f7f1a86dedd3c.JPG

Fried frogs' legs en aigre doux, with garlic and lemon.

Expertly fried, and greaseless. Great attention to detail.

It made me sit up and take notice - this is a place we should return to, for dinner.

DSC02755-001.JPG.ce436530bdb00da970340f838aa8ceac.JPG

Oeufs en meurette (eggs poached in red wine), with duck confit, spinach, mushrooms, potatoes and sauce au poivre.

Well-made, although the sauce was a tad oversalted.

DSC02758-001.JPG.ffae0cd5e124de8c61dfc264729d4b0f.JPG

Tarte au chocolat, mint sherbet, shortbread cookie.

Was perfect. Can't say much more than that.

Total bill came out to $114 ($57 per person). The restaurant adds a 20% surcharge which replaces the need to add a tip.