The Post (2017) - Drama about "The Pentagon Papers" - Starring Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks, Directed by Steven Spielberg

genericeric

The Post had so much potential.  Two legendary stars on screen for the first time together, a legendary director, and a topic that speaks so well to issues being faced today.  To me, the end product was a disappointment.

There's something about Steven Spielberg recent films that have been less successful for me - perhaps they don't seem to fit as much with the culture or times.  Each contains 10% too much nostalgia and shine - not every story needs to be wrapped up and packaged neatly with a bow at the end.  Bridge of Spies (2015) suffered from this, and I would say that Lincoln did to a certain extent as well.  People are flawed, stories are flawed, we can take it.

Of course the acting was great.  Tom Hanks may not be Jason Robards in the role, but he still plays a great Ben Bradlee.  Meryl Streep seems to be playing the same character these days, but she was also great (and the casting probably says more about good roles for mature women in Hollywood than her abilities).  Bradley Whitford, in his small supporting role, also stole a number of scenes.  But overall I couldn't escape the feeling that there was a missed opportunity here.

• Like 2

This movie is intensely boring.

All I can think about, is how *little* the "Presidential threats" mean, especially given our current political climate.

Sample line of dialog:

'Nixon's a son-of-a-bitch! He hates you! He hates Ben. He's wanted to ruin the paper for years, and you will not get a second chance, Kay. The Richard Nixon I know will muster the full power of the Presidency, and if there's a way to destroy your paper, by God, he'll find it!'

<Yawn>