"Art of the Americas: Collection of the Art Museum of the Americas of the Organization of American States" (July 26, 2018 - October 14, 2018) Art Museum of the Americas

Tweaked

I was fortunate to participate in a guided tour of the Art Museum of the Americas led by museum director Pablo Zuniga.  This is a small gem of a museum tucked away on 18th Street and Virginia Avenue along the Mall.  It's located in the back of the Organization of American States and was formerly the residence of the OAS Secretary General. 

It was fascinating to learn the history of OAS and how the art collection was formed.  It is the oldest museum of modern and contemporary Latin American and Caribbean art in the U.S.  However, due to the political leanings of OAS and Cold War politics the collection is selective, in the words of Zuniga:  You won't find any leftist artists (ie:  Mexican muralists like Diego Rivera are not represented in the collection).

Regardless, the current show is a highlights of the collection style show and features many artists (in fact most of the artists) I've never heard of.  

The museum is open Tuesday-Sunday 10am-5pm.  Free with a $5 suggested donation.

Art Museum of the Americas is one of those small, quiet spots in the district where after visiting you think, why have I never been here before.