Larding

xcanuck

I was looking at Jamie Stachowski's method for preparing Christmas goose and thought I might try the same approach with my turkey this year. I'm going to get a larding needle and see if I can't fill up the bird with a mixture of apples and cherries.

I've never used a larding needle before so a few questions:

- would you only fill up the breast with the fruit mixture? Or could you do the legs as well?

- if i was to use cherries, would dried be appropriate? Or should I at least plump them in water beforehand?

- any personal experiences (and tips) using a larding needle? Jamie makes it look so easy. I'm sure I'll struggle.

I'm also going to inject the bird with amaretto and grand marnier. Anyone think brining beforehand would cause problems?

Finally, I'm also going to inject myself with amaretto and grand marnier. But I've had plenty of experience with THAT. :P

I've never used a larding needle before so a few questions:

- would you only fill up the breast with the fruit mixture? Or could you do the legs as well?

- if i was to use cherries, would dried be appropriate? Or should I at least plump them in water beforehand?

- any personal experiences (and tips) using a larding needle? Jamie makes it look so easy. I'm sure I'll struggle.

I'm also going to inject the bird with amaretto and grand marnier. Anyone think brining beforehand would cause problems?

The larding needle seems rather large in diameter so you would want to be careful putting anything in the leg. Just make sure you inject yourself with the booze after larding. :P

I would plump up the cherries a bit. Why don't you put them in the amaretto?

Brining first would probably not cause too much trouble since you are not injecting a salt solution.