A Paris Memory...

Joe H

Five or six years ago a good friend of mine from Boston met me in Paris. He was also a client (although this never stood in the way of our friendship!) and this was the actual reason for meeting in France-to see a ride that I was trying to sell him. We spent an afternoon together driving around Paris-he trusted me and my knowledge of the city to show him the sights. He had no idea how many wrong turns I made or how often I was truly lost! Still, he trusted me.

We ended up for dinner at the two star Violon d'Ingres. Then, I knew Christian and Catherine Constant, having been to their restaurant ten or more times in the previous two years. (I thought it was a good idea for an American salesman to have a relationship with an important, a significant Parisian restaurant where I didn't have to rely on translation. And they knew my name when I walked in the door-especially if I was trying to sell someone a major ride.) We were there for over four hours. He said it was the best dinner of his life. He also added that he had no idea what several of the courses were. He knew me, and while he trusted me, he also knew that I had no idea what they were either!! Still, they were good, really good and the fact that I was still alive after taking my first bite-before HIS first bite-was encouraging!

We were together for the whole day and most of the evening. The next morning he was on his own in Paris, a city he had spent much of his adult life wanting to visit and I had given him the excuse to see. Later he told me that he had rented a car and got hopelessly, pathetically lost, even pulling over on the side of the road,cursing me for convincing him to go there.

Still, he admitted the trip was a life's wish realized.

He was Tom Morrow. He passed away yesterday almost twenty five years to the day from that I first met him. Yes, he was a client. He was also a close, lasting, selfless friend. I just thank God for the opportunity to be with him that night in Paris. It was a helluva meal. And a helluva memory.

He was Tom Morrow. He passed away yesterday almost twenty five years to the day from that I first met him. Yes, he was a client. He was also a close, lasting, selfless friend. I just thank God for the opportunity to be with him that night in Paris. It was a helluva meal. And a helluva memory.

Joe, thank you for this story. I'm very, very sorry for the loss of your friend.