"The River Cottage Meat Book"

mdt

I got this for Christmas and it is a very good read. Some interesting reading by a guy that is admittedly against and biased against the dreadful factory farming that produces most of our meat. He starts with an discussion of whether meat eating is morally acceptable that I found thought provoking. He also talks about the current state of raising animals and how to look for and prepare all varieties of meat. Much the data is from UK, but I think it is well worth a read. Anyone else given this a look?

Click

I bought this for my sister, for Christmas. She has just graduated from culinary school and, among other successes, received an A+ in meat cutting... I flipped through it before wrapping it up, mostly just looking at the pictures and dreaming of the goose we had in store for us the next day.

My sister, however, has read the damn thing cover-to-cover and claims that it has entered the short-list of reference books she will use when making meat and poultry purchasing and preparation decisions going forward.

Sadly, I can't further a discussion of the merits of the author's philosophy on animal husbandry, but I can say this -- if there's a carnivore in your world who needs a meat bible, this may well do the trick.

Alex

I bought this for my sister, for Christmas. She has just graduated from culinary school and, among other successes, received an A+ in meat cutting... I flipped through it before wrapping it up, mostly just looking at the pictures and dreaming of the goose we had in store for us the next day.

My sister, however, has read the damn thing cover-to-cover and claims that it has entered the short-list of reference books she will use when making meat and poultry purchasing and preparation decisions going forward.

Sadly, I can't further a discussion of the merits of the author's philosophy on animal husbandry, but I can say this -- if there's a carnivore in your world who needs a meat bible, this may well do the trick.

Alex

I am just about finished reading the entire thing myself, but I detoured to read The World Without Us which I highly recommend. Am I really the only one that has this book?