Greensboro, NC

MelGold

Greensboro will be my base of operation for the next month or so as I make my way across the state chasing political rallies & stumping politicians at state fairs. Unfortunately my daily stipend for food is quite meager. Anyone have some penny-saving, yet exceptionally tasty, stops in the Greensboro area that should not be missed for nights when we're rolling back into town & have no desire to cook?

STAMEY'S BBQ. A historic spot. Don't miss the cobblers for dessert. Say hi to Chip Stamey if you see him there, I grew up kitty-corner from him. They have two locations: Battleground Ave and near the Coliseum.

I happen to like Ghassan's for chicken skewers or steak-cheese subs. Two locations, also on Battleground and near the Coliseum.

The Thai restaurant over on Westover Terrace can be surprisingly good. They have a lunch buffet which is a steal if you're poor and hungry at lunchtime. Not just your standard pad thai--they have a nice focus on vegetarian food for any non-omnivorous types in your party.

You have to get sandwiches from Giacomo's. He makes his own charcuterie and it's excellent. Really good Italian subs. They have a storefront on Brassfield Rd near Battleground and their original store over on High Point Road.

I am a native of Greensboro and visit my family there a few times every year. Tell me more about where you will be, what your budget is and what you're looking for and I'll see what I can do for you.

STAMEY'S BBQ. A historic spot. Don't miss the cobblers for dessert. Say hi to Chip Stamey if you see him there, I grew up kitty-corner from him. They have two locations: Battleground Ave and near the Coliseum.

I happen to like Ghassan's for chicken skewers or steak-cheese subs. Two locations, also on Battleground and near the Coliseum.

The Thai restaurant over on Westover Terrace can be surprisingly good. They have a lunch buffet which is a steal if you're poor and hungry at lunchtime. Not just your standard pad thai--they have a nice focus on vegetarian food for any non-omnivorous types in your party.

You have to get sandwiches from Giacomo's. He makes his own charcuterie and it's excellent. Really good Italian subs. They have a storefront on Brassfield Rd near Battleground and their original store over on High Point Road.

I am a native of Greensboro and visit my family there a few times every year. Tell me more about where you will be, what your budget is and what you're looking for and I'll see what I can do for you.

Thanks, Rochelle! We are limited to $25 per day for food. Once I get a feel of what kind of kitchen & roommates I'm working with we'll see how far we can stretch that. We're in Jamestown - near the Landing.

The Giacomo's on High Point Road is definitely in the Jamestown direction of Greensboro. Also near there is Jerusalem Market, a middle eastern storefront with a deli counter in the back. They have really good falafel--I order mine with extra hot sauce--served in bedouin-style pita bread. The man who owns the Jerusalem Market is great, very friendly and knowledgeable. He recognized me on a recent visit even though I hadn't been there for a decade or so!

I love breakfast at Danny's, which is in the same shopping center as the Giacomo's on Brassfield Rd. It's dirt cheap. Nothing funky, but the biscuits and the pancakes are outstanding. Danny's restaurant was originally out Wendover Ave and my dad was a regular there, so he was delighted when Danny relocated closer to where my folks live several years ago. Danny's is only open for breakfast and lunch. I've not had lunch there but it's meat-and-three type food and also sure to be easy on the wallet.

The Thai place I mentioned is called Taste of Thai, btw. You can Google details for any of these places.

With access to a kitchen, things open up somewhat. Also nearish the Jamestown end of the county and worth exploring: Greensboro's location of the NC farmer's market, and Old Guilford Mill. You can get all kinds of cool stuff at the market--double-yolk eggs, fresh rabbit, crowder peas, Goat Lady goat cheeses. And the mill is an old-fashioned water-powered grist mill, your best resource for grits. These guys were doing it the old-fashioned way long before Anson Mills came on the scene.

So, the job might have me living in the Greensboro area but I sure haven't been here much! We're on the road daily to points near & far around the state either chasing Presidential candidates, their surrogates, or pounding the pavement to spread the good word about Clean Coal Technology. If you do find yourself in Greensboro with an itch for good southern cooking, head to the Piedmont Triad Farmers Market & the Moose Cafe. There are four major farmers markets like this one around the state with a Moose Cafe attached.

Last week I had a heaping portion of tasty meatloaf with two sides (can't for the life of me remember what they were at the moment though), and today's lunch was chicken & dumplings with a side of country style green beans and a side salad. The biscuits with housemade apple butter are AMAZING and the cobbler looks good but who has the room! A full plate with drink costs a whopping $7. Definitely fits into my thrifty budget this month.

Along the backroads we've found a couple of gems. Carolina's Diner in High Point serves a satisfying bowl of grits and Brass Kettle on 421 in Sanford is the perfect mom & pop restaurant.

I'm also happy to report an abundance of Sonic drive thrus down here, and I've showed considerable restraint in making my cohorts stop every time we pass one to grab a cherry limeade and some tater tots. :lol:

Traveled down to the area this past weekend for Elon's homecoming (didn't go there, just going along for the ride). My thoughts...

- Bojangle's and Biscuitville always make me smile.

- La Fiesta is still packed, but the food quality has suffered badly since I was last there in 2000.

- Hursey's Bar-B-Q was great for our tailgate on Saturday, especially loved the chicken and the hush puppies. Then again, my first bite came on a 70 degree sunny day in November after five bloody mary's, so take it for what it's worth.

- Lucky 32 was my first "fine dining" experience in the area in my lifetime. I can say that I was impressed with what it is striving to be, but it fell flat on execution. Liked the fried green tomatoes and lemon chess pie, bread was pretty damn good too, but pot roast and catfish were only average. Wine list was very reasonable, but uninspired, service was flighty, setting was pretty casually nice. Don't want to judge this place on one trip, especially with no other similar experiences in the area to compare it to, but at first glance, I would say that it is simply OK.