Tropicana Pure Premium "Fresh-Squeezed" (But Ultra-Pasteurized, Long-Stored) Orange Juice

DonRocks

* This is an eye-opening book if at all interested in the OJ reference. I've read it and it really made me think differently about OJ. Anyone who cares about exploited workers and chemistry experiments posing as food should find it pretty interesting.

For people at the level of our readership, i.e., highly educated, concerned about the origins of their food, etc., this is must-reading. I always had a "gut feeling" that Tropicana Frozen orange juice was somehow better than Tropicana Pure Premium Fresh-Squeezed orange juice, even before I figured out about the ultra-pasteurization issue and the long-term storage. I could just taste something was "thick and muted" with the Pure Premium brand, and never did like it. The marketing didn't fool me for a second, and I was young and naive enough not even to disbelieve in marketing at the time.

The first time I read about the way food companies process orange juice, I thought " wow they've even fucked up OJ"

You have to read the "Squeezed" book if you haven't. It goes way, way beyond what any article could convey and has real implication for many other types of foods beyond citrus. Don called it a "must read" above and I agree 150%.  It's not just about how the juice is processed, shipped and stored from nutrient standpoints.  The impact on environment and people is signficant, tragic and largely unknown. Incredibly engaging and educational.