Brouwerij Westvleteren Trappist Westvleteren XII - Trappist Abbey of Saint Sixtus of Westvleteren, Belgium

PappyVanWise

It was for sale for one day in the US, on December 12, last year...or 12/12/12. The monks apparently needed to raise some capital to rebuild their roof. They partnered with Shelton Brothers importers and Total Wine to sell six pack "bricks" that came with two chalices. I think that Laurel was the only one in the DMV to carry it. I was lucky enough to have someone in Raleigh pick me up a brick, but I haven't opened it up yet. They had to be sold at a set price $85, but quickly showed up on eBay for $500. Some Total Wines had big parties and others just put them on display and limited buyers to one brick.

westvleteren12.jpg

Well, if any member here wants to sell me part of their brick, I'll give them $85 for a beer and a chalice. That way, it will be as if they got three beers and a chalice for free.

What the hell, you only live once.

I'm also going to make this offer to members only.

Finally cracked one open tonight.  Words really can't describe this, especially not words that have been used for other beers.  It was deliciously caramel, with a perfect amount of carbonation, and a finish that just coated your mouth.  This is a special occasion beer, that I hope to have five more reasons to drink over the next few years.

post-3189-0-81892800-1392603792_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Finally cracked one open tonight.  Words really can't describe this, especially not words that have been used for other beers.  It was deliciously caramel, with a perfect amount of carbonation, and a finish that just coated your mouth.  This is a special occasion beer, that I hope to have five more reasons to drink over the next few years.

It's so nice to see this level of passion for beer. Gosh, this reminds me of when I was in college, but we had *so little* to choose from.

I remember driving through rural Georgia, and finding a Swiss Lowenbrau (it actually may have been something other than this; I can't quite remember the exact beer) at a roadside dive - at the time, it was like finding a gold nugget in a landfill. The feeling of discovery was amazing.

At some point I am going to take a guy trip to Belgium, mostly to hit up famous lambic breweries, but I will have to make a trip to the abbey as well.

You're going to love it. You have to do it. I went, May 7-May 13, hit Cantillon in Brussels, St. Bernardus and Westvleteren/St. Sixtus in Watou, Orval  near Florentville (Villers-devant-Orval I guess) and Drie Fonteinen in Beersel, along with a bunch of great beer bars. Unfortunately turned away at the restaurant connected to Brasserie de Blaugies; it was Mother's Day and we hadn't thought to reserve. (I didn't even know Mother's Day was a thing in France, and this was in the very-much-French province of Hainault)

Don, St. Bernardus used to make the St Sixtus beers until the brothers at St. Sixtus decided it was more appropriate for the beer to be brewed within the monastery, back in the early 1990's. As a result, the beer now named St. Bernardus Abt 12, readily available in the US, is EXTREMELY similar to Westvleteren 12 (to me anyway). But not quite, you know? Both caramelly, rum-raisin-y, malty but with a little bit of hop bite. (the revelation to me was the enormous number of hop fields in West Flanders and particularly around those two breweries, in the Watou-Poperinge area)

The St Bernardus tour guide told us that St Bernardus still uses the yeast they used to use when they were making St. Sixtus under contract with the Abbaye, before 1992; while, according to her, Westvleteren now uses the Westmalle yeast and has since the termination of the old agreement.

• Like 1