Grilled Peaches

Xochitl10

I haven't made a lot of desserts recently -- in fact, in the five years since we returned from Japan, I've been a lot less inclined to do so. I did make grilled peaches for a friend's Fourth of July party last week.  Halved a bunch of nice ripe yellow peaches, brushed with a honey/balsamic vinegar/Dominican vanilla extract glaze and continued to glaze after turning each time on the grill. I mixed up some mascarpone with more Dominican vanilla extract and some black pepper, filled the peaches with the mixture, and drizzled on a bit more glaze. Delightful.

• Like 2

If you're not so keen on dessert, grilled peaches are also great in a salad -- especially with peppery greens like arugula and watercress.  Cut 3 peaches into quarters and marinate in a mixture of olive oil, salt, lime juice, fresh minced ginger, chopped fresh basil and 1 or 2 diced jalapeno peppers, then grill.  Toss the greens with an EVOO and champagne vinegar vinaigrette and some additional basil and serve the peaches on top.  Summer on a plate!  It also works well with nectarines.

• Like 1

If you're not so keen on dessert, grilled peaches are also great in a salad -- especially with peppery greens like arugula and watercress.  Cut 3 peaches into quarters and marinate in a mixture of olive oil, salt, lime juice, fresh minced ginger, chopped fresh basil and 1 or 2 diced jalapeno peppers, then grill.  Toss the greens with an EVOO and champagne vinegar vinaigrette and some additional basil and serve the peaches on top.  Summer on a plate!  It also works well with nectarines.

We've had grilled peaches several times this summer, and my favorite way was something like this--in a balsamic vinaigrette with baby arugula and chunks of grilled pork loin.