Tyler Cowen on Restaurants in Anacostia

zoramargolis

Oooh, that chain of discussion made me SO mad. Honestly, it makes a difference where something is. Why is everyone there, including Professor Cowen, refusing to acknowledge that?

He's a wasp libertarian-conservative and his fans seem to be, as well. It's always heartwarming to hear wealthy white folks assuring each other that this isn't a racist country.

The difference between an engineer and an economist each stuck on a dessert island with a case of canned foods.

The engineer calculates the tensile strength of the can, the hardness ratio of local rocks and said can and how many caloried would be spent smashing the can against the rock to open it vs tossing it in the fire and letting the steam build up make the can explode and how many calories of beans would be lost in the explosion.

The economist assumes they have a can opener and therefore there is no problem. Of course the economist starved to death.

My name is Dean and I'm an economist. I have 29 years 2 months and 4 days of economist sobriety!

It's always heartwarming to hear wealthy white folks assuring each other that this isn't a racist country.

Indeed, it's pretty amazing the way that the commenters discussed, or rather, failed to discuss, the elephant in the room.

Also, non-ironic use of the term "ghetto."