Wine-based Cocktails

Sangaree, a wine based cocktail, is set to make a come back. I'm not talking of sangria(completely different). No mere fruit and wine mixture, the sangaree is a mix of spirits and wine. Several recipes I've mixed up from old bar books have been outstanding. One that comes to mind is:

3 oz red wine( I went with a malbec)

1 oz brandy

1/2 oz lemon juice

1/4 oz frangelico

Shake with ice, strain into a wine glass, garnish with a twist of lemon. The frangelico I took the liberty of adding, the recipe dates from the 1700's so, I guess the whole 'shake over ice' is new too. :(

Sangaree, a wine based cocktail, is set to make a come back. I'm not talking of sangria(completely different). No mere fruit and wine mixture, the sangaree is a mix of spirits and wine. Several recipes I've mixed up from old bar books have been outstanding. One that comes to mind is:

1 oz brandy

1/2 oz lemon juice

1/4 oz frangelico

Shake with ice, strain into a wine glass, garnish with a twist of lemon. The frangelico I took the liberty of adding, the recipe dates from the 1700's so, I guess the whole 'shake over ice' is new too. :(

Finally a good use for overripe fruitballs from Argentina! This is one seriously fun cocktail!

1 oz brandy

1/2 oz lemon juice

1/4 oz frangelico

Tom,

My Sangria recipe for years has been this:

1 gallon Gallo Hearty Burgundy

1 750ml bottle E&J Brandy

1 cup sugar

1 half gallon 7-Up

oranges and lemons to taste.

Serve over ice in tall glass. :(

champagne is used in so many cocktails. Very classic mix is 6 parts champagne, 1 part cognac, 1 sugar cube and 2-3 dashes of angostura bitters. garnish with lemon twist. order in making this is important- sugar cube in the glass first, then bitters on the cube, then cognac then champagne.