Kiuchi Brewery

MeMc

I remember reading about Japanese beers in one of the food sections recently (I wish I remembered where), which has made me thirsty for a Hitachino of any sort. Aside from the Brickskellar, does any restaurant or bar that you know of sell it? I'm nostalgic for it.

I remember reading about Japanese beers in one of the food sections recently (I wish I remembered where), which has made me thirsty for a Hitachino of any sort. Aside from the Brickskellar, does any restaurant or bar that you know of sell it? I'm nostalgic for it.

The Whole Paycheck on P St. has a bunch of Hitachino on sale right now (surprisingly, WF does have some ok sale prices on beer from time to time). Two 22oz bottles bundled together (to get around the fact that they can't sell a single). I was in a hurry and didn't look too closely at the price or types available. Also, Sake Club (Woodley) usually has several of their beers.

The Whole Paycheck on P St. has a bunch of Hitachino on sale right now (surprisingly, WF does have some ok sale prices on beer from time to time). Two 22oz bottles bundled together (to get around the fact that they can't sell a single). I was in a hurry and didn't look too closely at the price or types available. Also, Sake Club (Woodley) usually has several of their beers.

The DC wholesaler of, among others, Hitachino recently folded, and tons of stuff got auctioned off at very low prices- so for those who purchased lots that included their beers, you should be seeing some good prices out there. Keep an eye on "sell-by" dates, however, as there was a fair amount of old beer sold in lots along with fresher beer.

Hitachino Nest Beers from Japan are GREAT!!

:(

We just got a new one from these guys: espresso stout. I haven't tried it yet, but it's all the rage among the staff.

The red rice and their wit are both top notch...as is the Bear Republic XP (extra pale) that I'm drinking at the moment.

The red rice and their wit are both top notch...as is the Bear Republic XP (extra pale) that I'm drinking at the moment.
If this is the same Red Rice beer that they serve by the bottle at Proof, I must say that I was unimpressed. It tasted had a creamy mouth feel with a bitter finish, unless this was an off bottle, it really is not something I would try again.

Hitachino Nest Beers from Japan are GREAT!!

:(

If you are feeling adventerous, Kiuchi offers a distilled version of their classic white ale-- its kind of expensive at about $18 per 200ml bottle, but it is really interesting! You still get a bit of that grainy, spicy character, and the addition of coriander and orange peel make it come off as a sort of esoteric east Asian gin. We included it in a sake tasting not too long ago, and while I won't say it was a universal hit, it certainly made an impression.

If this is the same Red Rice beer that they serve by the bottle at Proof, I must say that I was unimpressed. It tasted had a creamy mouth feel with a bitter finish, unless this was an off bottle, it really is not something I would try again.

Well, you are entitled to your opinion and taste. The Rice beer is not the usual flavor, or mouth feel that one would expect. Though it does have balance and offers intrigue of yeasty, sherry, and red fruit flavors, with a fresh bitterness.

Hitachino Nest XH (7%)

from the back label: "This strong ale was matured in Oak Casks which was used for maturation of Shocyu. Shocyu is distilled Sake, so please enjoy rich flavor bothfrom beer and Sake."

This is seriously delicious and worth seeking out. The sake character gives an otherwise good beer an exciting layer of complexity. Funky yeasty nose (is there brett in those sake barrels?). Malty backbone on the beer, with still sweet finish dried out a bit by the sake accents. Really good.