Loquats

sandynva

I was at the botanic garden and saw their lovely tree all full of fruit and was reminded of how much i like loquats.

Has anyone seen them (the fruits, not the trees) sold in the area, and if so where? they should be coming into season soon i think.

thank you!

I remember seeing them at Great Wall in Merrifield, VA last year, but haven't yet seen them when I went last week.

I was at the botanic garden and saw their lovely tree all full of fruit and was reminded of how much i like loquats.

Has anyone seen them (the fruits, not the trees) sold in the area, and if so where? they should be coming into season soon i think.

thank you!

The season begins in late Feb. in Florida so I don't think we've quite entered the season yet. And might wait to get the better ones.

the loquats were ok though. not fully ripe, so didn't have full flavor, but ok nonetheless.

I used to have a loquat tree in my yard when I lived in Santa Monica. They always looked a lot better than they tasted. Invariably disappointing, they were juicy and very sweet, but had little flavor. And they have those big, honkin' pits inside. My feeling was always: no there there. We mostly let them drop, raked them up and dumped them in the compost heap.

I used to have a loquat tree in my yard when I lived in Santa Monica. They always looked a lot better than they tasted. Invariably disappointing, they were juicy and very sweet, but had little flavor. And they have those big, honkin' pits inside. My feeling was always: no there there. We mostly let them drop, raked them up and dumped them in the compost heap.

How lucky you were! (though i know you don't think so).

I've actually had some really good loquats--they were mostly sweet, as you say, but they also had a lovely acidity to them too. The ones i got this weekend though sound exactly like what you had though--juicy bland sweetness, with a teeny bit of tannic pucker like you get from not-perfectly-ripe persimmons.