Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Brewer's Ball

SeanMike

Hey everybody,

The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation's Brewer's Ball is coming up in just a few months.

Thanks to a good friend and a neighbor who has it, I've decided to try to help. I went last year and a had a great time.

Tickets aren't on sale yet but they are looking for people to donate. That can mean a couple of different things. One is just a cash donation in exchange for recognition in the program or elsewhere; I can find the details on that if anyone is interested. Another is a donation in kind in terms of food or drink for the Ball, though I'm not certain what their current needs are. (I have had one member advocating that they have a table offering whiskey tastings...)

More so, right now, they're looking for donations for the silent auction that raises a lot of money over the course of the night. Things like gift certificates, rare items, travel packages - anything like that they're interested in.

If any of y'all are interested in helping out in this cause, please let me know and I will put you in contact with the right people. If you're just interested in tickets, send me a PM after the first of the year if you don't see any info in this thread. :P Some of you I'll be asking personally too. :D

I hope to see y'all there!

Hey everybody,

The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation's Brewer's Ball is coming up in just a few months.

Thanks to a good friend and a neighbor who has it, I've decided to try to help. I went last year and a had a great time.

Tickets aren't on sale yet but they are looking for people to donate. That can mean a couple of different things. One is just a cash donation in exchange for recognition in the program or elsewhere; I can find the details on that if anyone is interested. Another is a donation in kind in terms of food or drink for the Ball, though I'm not certain what their current needs are. (I have had one member advocating that they have a table offering whiskey tastings...)

More so, right now, they're looking for donations for the silent auction that raises a lot of money over the course of the night. Things like gift certificates, rare items, travel packages - anything like that they're interested in.

If any of y'all are interested in helping out in this cause, please let me know and I will put you in contact with the right people. If you're just interested in tickets, send me a PM after the first of the year if you don't see any info in this thread. :P Some of you I'll be asking personally too. :D

I hope to see y'all there!

Mike, what is the actual date/time/location of the Ball? Also, would you count volunteers as donation?

Hey guys --

They're looking for volunteers on two different shifts - day and night.

Day is setting things up, getting kegs out, etc.

Night is handling the actual ball.

I'm getting confirmation of where to send y'all if you want to volunteer. I do not know if volunteering will get you a ticket - in fact, I'd doubt that it does - so if you want a ticket, you might want to buy soon!

Also, if you can't make it, consider just making a donation if you have the inclination and ability. Every little bit helps.

(If you're a restauranteur, bar manager, or just anybody who has something they'd like to donate for the silent auction, also let me know. They're also looking for someone to do a second dessert for the food side.)

There are less than one hundred tickets left, and it's only 2 weeks until the event!

For those of you thinking of going, here's the list of breweries attending:

Capitol City Brewing Company

Clipper City Brewing Company

District Chophouse & Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Flying Dog Brewery

Fordham Brewing Company

Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant

Hook & Ladder Brewing Company

Hops Grill & Brewery

ICS Group - Capital Eagle

Old Dominion Brewing Company

Rock Bottom Brewery

Starr Hill Brewery

Sweetwater Tavern

Williamsburg AleWerks

Woodchuck Cider

Also Total Wine will be doing wine, and there's food from several area restaurants.

The silent auction will have all kinds of stuff that'll interest people here. Things I can confirm: gift certificates to The Gibson and Bar Pilar, whiskey tastings at Bourbon led by Owen Thomson, a Peter Smith and Gina Chersevani happy hour at PS7, a cocktail tour of 3 DC cocktail bars led by yours truly and Marshall ( :P ), and baskets of microbrews and drinks (mine is a Manhattan basket with Old Overholt rye, Jim Beam black label bourbon, Doulin Rouge, Noilly Prat sweet vermouth, Fee's cherry bitters, Regan's orange bitters, and if I can find some, Luxardo cherries).

Plus stuff like - Have your son or daughter be the Wizard's Ball Boy on March 14th

- A week in a Key West Condo

- Several pieces of jewelry, including a $1500 Italian link bracelet

- A trip to LA with studio passes to see a live taping of Two and a Half Men

- A weekend rental of a Bently

- Many baskets of Liquor, Beer & Wine at amazing bidding prices

Also includes trips to Napa Valley, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas, San Diego and much more!

It sounds like they're closer than ever towards a cure for CF, so if you're on a fence about going, now's the time to do it!

I'm hoping to be one of the breweries up there, but my inventory is a little limited, I'm smaller than all of those breweries. Also, I don't think I'd be able to bring kegs and I might not be able to bring a full 2 kegs worth. Like I said, I'm small, a 3 barrel brewery. For those of you who don't know, 1 barrel = 2 kegs. I'm still hoping to be a part of this.

From here, the current list of beers includes:

Dogfish Head

DC Brau

Fordham and Old Dominion Brewing Companies

Front Street Brewery

Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant

Heavy Seas Beer

Hops Grill and Brewery

Oliver Ales

Port City Brewing Company

Sierra Nevada Brewing Company

Stone Brewing Company

Starr Hill Brewery

Tupper’s Hop Pocket Ales

Woodchuck Hard Cider

So while it ain't cheap, the tix go to a great cause AND you can say you were one of the first to try the beers coming out of DC (DC Brau) and Alexandria (Port City) that will be hot topics later this year.

Hey folks!

We're at about 13 weeks out from the next Brewer's Ball! In fact, in about two hours I'll be at a meeting for it...

SO! We need auction items and sponsors!

If you have something you'd like to donate to auction off to help support the CFF, let me know! Every year, for instance, I put together a gift basket of booze, because booze is delicious, while in the past different restaurants have offered up happy hours, dinner gift certificates, tastings, and other cool things.

And you don't have to be in the food industry - perhaps travel, or hotel, or a souvenir, or anything you think might be a worthwhile item for silent auction, knowing the proceeds go to help eradicate CF.

And if your company is perhaps a bit like mine, and you don't really make something people would want to get in an auction, consider sponsorships. A donation gets you recognition at the event, and even better, free tickets, including the VIP only hour this year!

Like last year, it'll be at Nats Stadium. If you have any questions, let me know, and now that I can devote some cycles to it I'll see what I learn from tonight's meeting and pass on any relevant information.

Cheers yo!

An update - this year is March 3rd, 2012 (a Saturday), 7- midnight. If you get your company to sponsor, you get a chance at the 6-7 PM VIP hour!

Breweries renewed so far are: Fordham, Old Dominion, Dogfish Head, Starr Hill, Tuppers, Vintage 50, DC Brau, Sierra Nevada, Port City, Ommegang, Sixpoint, 3 Stars, Flying Dog, Lost Rhino, and Chocolate City, plus 2 wine stations.

Food includes Cabot Creamery, Dogfish Head, Broad Branch Market, Freddy's Lobster & Clams, Granville Moore's, Hank's Oyster Bar, Mon Ami Gabi, Station 4, Market Tavern, Sixth Engine, and Brown Bag (for passed desserts).

If you'd like to sponsor or donate for the auction, let me know. If you can't make it, I'll post and be sending around fundraiser letters to help with the fight against CF.

I'm getting confirmation of where to send y'all if you want to volunteer. I do not know if volunteering will get you a ticket - in fact, I'd doubt that it does - so if you want a ticket, you might want to buy soon!

For those of you who plan to volunteer I hope that they are more flexible than in the past. A few years ago my wife and I volunteered for this event they were EXTREEMLY firm about no sampling by volunteers and such. Probably because it was staffed with college kids. Given the restrictions and overall experience we did volunteered for this event a second time.

For those of you who plan to volunteer I hope that they are more flexible than in the past. A few years ago my wife and I volunteered for this event they were EXTREEMLY firm about no sampling by volunteers and such. Probably because it was staffed with college kids. Given the restrictions and overall experience we did volunteered for this event a second time.

Right. If you want to drink, buy a ticket, don't volunteer at the event itself. :D

Just a reminder (given the response to an old thread up there): volunteering gets you admission, but you're working - you won't have a chance to eat or drink during it.

Tickets are $115.

If you can't make it, you can always donate to the CFF through my link: http://www.cff.org/LWC/SeanWhipkey19088

If you want to go, click on the "Event Info" link (above my fundraiser goal) and then on "Purchase". That'll let you purchase tickets or make specific donations that also result in tickets. If you'd like to list me as your "Ticket Captain" it'll go towards my fundraising goal.

My only personal link with CF is a friend who has it, and she's active in the Brewer's Ball as well - this year she'll be attending as a new mother, which is fairly amazing. Mostly I support it because I feel it's a good cause, it's a good group of folks, and they're getting so close to a cure. Looks like a lot of folks I know are going this year, so I hope to see y'all there.