Sips & Suppers (Formerly Art.Food.Hope Dinner Gala) Jan 26-28, 2019

curiouskitkatt

To my excitement, I am happy to share that the nations most profilic culinary superstars will be flocking to the District on Jan 19, 2009 to support and participate in series of dinners that will be benefitting DC Central Kitchen, FreshFarm Market, and Martha's Table. If there are any Rockwellians that would be willing to open their homes to host a team of chefs and offer transportation to those that will be arriving without cars, please get in contact with me. I know this city will be overrun with every Tom, Dick, and Harry. But think of the bragging rights you will have. :P

ArtFoodHope_Information_Sheet_12_22.pdf

Tickets for this event can now be purchase at the DC Central Kitchen website. Just click onto the tab ART.FOOD.HOPE. I know in these tough economic times $500 can be a lot of money. But for anyone that can spare it, these dinners will be rather amazing. I am looking forward to all the people I will be meeting, not to mention to have a dinner prepared my chefs I would not have the chance to otherwise, under normal circumstances. And if anyone has ever been to a Susan Gage event, it will be stunning. I will be sure to take picture and return with a full report. :P

I would like to thank everyone who has offered to help out for this event. I am so excited to be a part of this Dinner. I am also happy to report that all my hard work has not gone in vain.The Washington Post will be featuring an article about this incredible event. I have the opportunity to convene with the most prolific icons representing the culinary, entertainment, and book world. What more could a girl from York, Pa possible ask for. :D Wait....that is a loaded questions.. :P ..

The event on Monday night was extraordinary. As someone that tends to spread herself too thin, I actually was unable to attend the dinner. I had to cancel last minute, but my roommate owes me BIG TIME. :P I will say the cocktails were delicious, as well as the presentation of the hor d'eurves. Several members of the Cafe Staff at Chez Panisse were present. Island Creek oysters were shucked, Smoke VA "parma" style ham was being sliced, and well as beautiful pickled vegetables were to be had by everyone. I glided over the room to see many people that I knew, or recognized, and ones that I will know, and hope to have the opportunity to work with in the not so distant future. Ms Waters gave a very moving speech, and handed it over to Calvin Trillin. He versed an original work to commemorate this momentous chapter in not only American History, but World History. I thank you Mr. President, for renewing my faith that dreams are realities in the making. It just takes time.

• Like 2

On 12/27/2008 at 9:47 AM, curiouskitkatt said:

To my excitement, I am happy to share that the nations most profilic culinary superstars will be flocking to the District to support and participate in series of dinners that will be benefitting DC Central Kitchen, FreshFarm Market, and Martha's Table. If there are any Rockwellians that would be willing to open their homes to host a team of chefs and offer transportation to those that will be arriving without cars, please get in contact with me. I know this city will be overrun with every Tom, Dick, and Harry. But think of the bragging rights you will have. :P

Fast Forward to 2019, has evolved into,  "SIps & Suppers", here is the press release for the event. 

I have filled out the survey to volunteer, and hope that members of the forum will follow suit, or participate in any means they can.  I will follow up with any deets that I come into as to how we as a community can help with this dinner. Please DM me or post in the forum if you are interested in joining me. Volunteering with a group is always much  more fun. 

3292_SnS_2019_Press_Release_Tickets-Now-On-Sale_v1.pdf

Its that time if year again. One of my favorite ways to give back is to volunteer  for the annual Sips & Suppers event held to benefit Martha’s Table. If you are available, I highly encourage you to sign up. It's great time & you get a chance to meet the finest culinary figures of the DMV. Depending which dinner you volunteer at you get to go home with a bunch of goodies to boot! The dinners will be held through out the DMV on 1/26/20. The all star list of chefs is impressive and includes DC’s fave, Frank Ruta.

2 hours ago, DanielK said:

I used to volunteer for this, but there were apparently a few incidents with inexperienced volunteers. They are now enforcing the "must have recent fine dining employment" clause of the volunteer request form.

I think I may have heard about this occurring at previous dinners, where  the service staff (volunteers) took social liberties to an unacceptable level, and hence adding the formal application. There is a level of service to be expected at these dinners I assume as well, but I think as long as you are respectful and know the basics, that should be sufficient. That's my opinion. 

37 minutes ago, curiouskitkatt said:

I think I may have heard about this occurring at previous dinners, where  the service staff (volunteers) took social liberties to an unacceptable level, and hence adding the formal application. There is a level of service to be expected at these dinners I assume as well, but I think as long as you are respectful and know the basics, that should be sufficient. That's my opinion. 

I used to volunteer, and about 5 years ago they said I couldn't volunteer anymore, because I didn't have recent fine dining employment. Unless they've relaxed the volunteer screening, most of us aren't eligible.