Frank Bruni's "Born Round"

hmmboy

Breezed through Frank Bruni's "Born Round" over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. Though I grew up in a Jewish household in Monticello, NY (as opposed to an Italian household in Westchester), I completely identified with the relentless food culture that surrounded Frank's upbringing, as well as his constant, and ongoing, struggle with weight. I was on every one of the many diets he details in the book and then some, bouncing back and forth as I grew older until I topped out at 320 pounds just before my 40th. (Over the next year I dropped 100 pounds and 15 years later I can report that I have managed to keep 75 of those pounds off.)

The book was poignant, funny, and a quick read - I couldn't put it down once I started. For us who love food but still want to look halfway decent, Frank's weight struggles and how he managed to overcome them even during his tenure as the Times restaurant critic made for a delightful read that I highly recommend to all of you.

Breezed through Frank Bruni's "Born Round" over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. Though I grew up in a Jewish household in Monticello, NY (as opposed to an Italian household in Westchester), I completely identified with the relentless food culture that surrounded Frank's upbringing, as well as his constant, and ongoing, struggle with weight. I was on every one of the many diets he details in the book and then some, bouncing back and forth as I grew older until I topped out at 320 pounds just before my 40th. (Over the next year I dropped 100 pounds and 15 years later I can report that I have managed to keep 75 of those pounds off.)

The book was poignant, funny, and a quick read - I couldn't put it down once I started. For us who love food but still want to look halfway decent, Frank's weight struggles and how he managed to overcome them even during his tenure as the Times restaurant critic made for a delightful read that I highly recommend to all of you.

I look forward to reading this. I have it on hold at the library.

Politics & Prose is celebrating its 25th year and it sure has quite a roster of author events!

Next Tuesday, September 29th, brings Frank Bruni to sign this book; Maureen Dowd will be there too.

Details here.

Thanks for posting this, Anna! I'm not sure it I'll be able to make it, but will try. The book sounds interesting, and I'm a big Maureeen Dowd fan too. :rolleyes: