Considering a Job as Waiter

Flavortown

While I've been around restaurants and good food all my life - my dad has owned his restaurant in New Jersey for more than 30 years - I've never actually worked in one. I've been thinking about pursuing a job as a server, and I've even shot out a few applications, but considering my lack of experience I've had a slightly hard time figuring out what sort of place could use me. So, I figured I'd throw a post up on here and see if anybody had some suggestions: not necessarily connections or even specific names of places, but just some tips for somebody who really loves food, and has seen some of what goes on in restaurants, but wants a slightly closer look.

Thanks all

Gennaro

Good waiters should have the following traits, in no particular order:

Personable

Presentable

Highly organized, with inate ability to priortize in a fluid environment

Able to focus under stress

Food knowledge, wine knowledge, liquor knowledge, and basic sales techniques can all be taught, and even very good restaurants will hire people with no previous experience at all.

Good waiters should have the following traits, in no particular order:

Personable

Presentable

Highly organized, with inate ability to priortize in a fluid environment

Able to focus under stress

Food knowledge, wine knowledge, liquor knowledge, and basic sales techniques can all be taught, and even very good restaurants will hire people with no previous experience at all.

The single hardest concept to master is the difference between being a waiter and being an order taker.

While I've been around restaurants and good food all my life - my dad has owned his restaurant in New Jersey for more than 30 years - I've never actually worked in one. I've been thinking about pursuing a job as a server, and I've even shot out a few applications, but considering my lack of experience I've had a slightly hard time figuring out what sort of place could use me. So, I figured I'd throw a post up on here and see if anybody had some suggestions: not necessarily connections or even specific names of places, but just some tips for somebody who really loves food, and has seen some of what goes on in restaurants, but wants a slightly closer look.

Thanks all

Gennaro

Good for you for considering this. I owe fine dining my undergrad degree along with a lot of my "social education". Working in it for about a year after graduation paid off nearly all my student debt. Working in more casual restaurants during college paid off my first car. All of my jobs waiting tables were ridiculously fun roles, included serious amounts of food and wine knowledge (mandatory tasting training events at some places), tons of hard work, zero health benefits, but came with the somehow youth-enhancing secret potion of immense partying opportunities after the closing work. I miss it.

Breaking into fine dining was a competitive challenge, even with years of waitstaff experience. I wound up getting in through a high school friend's sister who was on the general management team. Such a connection may be how you land your first restaurant role. I'm glad to see you reaching out to the community here. When I met you at the Radius event the other night, you seemed like an often-smiling, attentive, and quick-on-the-detailed-recall draw personality, all classic ingredients for a good waiter.

Best wishes for a successful service adventure!

You might want to consider the runer position in fine diing if that is the way you want to go. You will be an imortant part of the team and get to know the whys and wherefors of the restaurant business while building up your stamina!

Thanks for the suggestion Dean - I was sort of considering that option since I'd prefer to be a runner in a restaurant that I'd really like to be

in rather than be a waiter in a place I wouldn't ever choose to eat at.

I'm glad to see you reaching out to the community here. When I met you at the Radius event the other night, you seemed like an often-smiling, attentive, and quick-on-the-detailed-recall draw personality, all classic ingredients for a good waiter.

Best wishes for a successful service adventure!

Thanks for the vote of confidence KMango - hopefully the places I apply to will see the same traits.