Persian Rice

Soup

Went to Shamshimary (sp?) in Tyson's Corner this weekend. Had been there many time and I had always thought they have really amazing food. But it has been about a year or so and I had forgotten just how good their food is, especially the rice. There rice (plain, cherry, dill, etc) were just amazing.

I come from a rice culture and cook a lot of different varieties. However, the variety and method of cooking used in this persian resturant is something else. Without hyperbole, it may be my favorite rice. Just stunning.

So the question is, what variety/brand of rice are they using, where can I get them (is there a persian grocery: it is not basmati) and how is it cooked?

Any assistance in my endevour to recreate the rice dishes at home would be appreciated.

BTW, the resturant is a real gem and should give the place a try if you have not gone there before.

Soup

Yekta is a Persian restaurant with an adjacent grocery in Rockville (#1488, same strip as Joe's Noodle House, just down from Penzey's on Rockville Pike). I don't know how convenient that is to you or if they stock what you want.

I went to Shamshiry last night and agree, the rice here is amazing. I would love to know how to fix it. The rice itself is thin, but very long, There is white mixed with a yellow rice (yellow I am sure from being cooked in a liquid). When the rice comes out, be sure to ask for some of the crispy rice, the stuff from the bottem of the pot. I also know they they add a raw egg to mix in and other stuff like red currants.