Mouli Graters

smithhemb

My mouli grater died and I can't find a new one. The dead grater was sort of a cross between a food mill and a Cuisinart (flat, interchangeable shredding and slicing disks, hand-cranked, 3-legged, so a plate could fit under it). Now the only manual rotary graters I see are the handheld drum kind. Am I just looking in the wrong places (Williams-Sonoma, Sur la Table, cooking.com, amazon) or did my old style grater become extinct once food processors became standard equipment?

My mouli grater died and I can't find a new one. The dead grater was sort of a cross between a food mill and a Cuisinart (flat, interchangeable shredding and slicing disks, hand-cranked, 3-legged, so a plate could fit under it). Now the only manual rotary graters I see are the handheld drum kind. Am I just looking in the wrong places (Williams-Sonoma, Sur la Table, cooking.com, amazon) or did my old style grater become extinct once food processors became standard equipment?

Krupps bought the Mouli company several years ago and promptly discontinued a number of Mouli products, which was a shame because some of them were not only unique but better than anything else you could find to do similar jobs. I suspect your grater was one of them. Have you looked on Ebay?

Sigh. Julia Child got me hooked on mouli grater that was orange plastic and stood on three metal legs and had five discs to grate carrot salads, cheese; wonderful for grinding nuts, too.

Someone at Sur La Table told me the thriving industry of Mouli was wiped out virtually overnight by the invention of the food processor. This was at a time when you could still find certain replacement parts at the store. Over ten years ago, I managed to order replacements for my rusty discs over the phone, but they were not cheap and the strategy of the company was to package the useful, microplane-like disk separately so you'd spend more. I now rely simply on microplane, box grater, cheap Japanese-style mandoline and food processor. And knife.

Sigh. Julia Child got me hooked on mouli grater that was orange plastic and stood on three metal legs and had five discs to grate carrot salads, cheese; wonderful for grinding nuts, too.

Someone at Sur La Table told me the thriving industry of Mouli was wiped out virtually overnight by the invention of the food processor. This was at a time when you could still find certain replacement parts at the store. Over ten years ago, I managed to order replacements for my rusty discs over the phone, but they were not cheap and the strategy of the company was to package the useful, microplane-like disk separately so you'd spend more. I now rely simply on microplane, box grater, cheap Japanese-style mandoline and food processor. And knife.

That's the one! I think I just found it in the Amazon marketplace under "Rotary Salad maker." I did a google image search on mouli-julienne, and the pictures seem to match. It's white now (I won't really miss the orange!). And the text says 3 discs but the picture shows 5 so we'll see what I actually get!