Groff's Content Farm

Groff's Content Farm is selling eggs and various cuts of meat in the alley between Kenyon and Irving Sts. NW between 17th & 18th Streets this morning 3/5/10. I scored some lovely lamb chops and shanks and beautiful brown and green eggs.

During the winter they are there every other weekend or so. You can be notified if you sign up on their e-mail list.

During the summer they sell at the Mt. Pleasant Market on Saturdays.

And they are at the Silver Spring FRESHFARM Market each and every Saturday: 10 - 1 PM (Jan. through March) and 9 - 1 PM (April through Dec.). I know you're into Truck Patch, but do try Groff's wonderful bacon.

I didn't try their bacon but the beef liver I bought was seriously good and only $5.00 a pound.

I tried their chicken thighs this weekend. I didn't do anything special--just baked them over onions with a little olive oil and good salt. This is a favorite meal with the little guy and one of the few things Mr. BLB make on his own with detailed instructions.

Their chicken wasn't very good. I've been using Garden Path chicken and it really sings. This was oddly butchered so the thighs were a strange shape and hard to cut when cooked. And it just had no chicken flavor. Very disappointing.

I picked up thighs and legs from North Pasture at Takoma today. It is going to be a long winter if I don't find something that works.

^I wonder if it was the bird and the time of year rather than the farm, per se. Perhaps it was one of the no-longer-layers that ought to have been turned into a stewing hen instead of chicken parts. (I once roasted a whole, fresh chicken of theirs that had been walking around the day before purchase. Prime season and quite tasty.)

PS The subtitle of this topic is no longer accurate since the farmers no longer bother w organic certification. Still hormone free, grass-fed and finished, etc., but were they certified, they couldn't sell fresh, unfrozen poultry in some of their markets. There's more to the story than that, I bet, but that's all I know.