Oktoberfest Beers in July?

One of the stranger consequences of the economic downturn has been the marketing of Oktoberfest/Autumn seasonal beers earlier than ever.

Usually, us D.C. retailers get hit with these in August, which is bad enough, as I don't think that most of us want to think about autumn beers in the middle of summer, but this is the earliest they've ever been pitched to us.

I've also seen offerings for winter/Christmas beers coming our way, but those are mostly pre-orders for kegs; those beers aren't actually available yet, whereas some of our beer wholesalers already have the Oktoberfest beers in stock, ready to ship to us.

I understand that, in Germany, Oktoberfest really begins in September, as a sort-of welcoming to autumn, and celebration of the harvest, which makes complete sense. After all, autumn technically begins around September 21st in the northern hemisphere.

But in good conscience, I just cannot sell these beers before Labor Day. I'd like to enjoy summer while it is here, even though most of our summer seasonal beers are sold through. I think that we can still get plenty of Bell's Oberon, and perhaps Sam Adams "Summer", maybe even Sierra Nevada "Summerfest", but others, such as Brooklyn Summer, have already sold through, as some breweries released their summer beers early this year in response to a warmer-than-usual spring.

This definitely puts pressure on bars and retailers, though. We want to be able to offer these products in a timely fashion, but it means purchasing them now and then sitting on them for several weeks, tying up money until we can sell them. But don't be surprised if you walk into Whole Foods or Safeway next week and see these beers on the shelf or floor displays, since, in some instances, wholesalers know exactly how many cases of particular beers will be available ("We've only got x-hundred cases, so you'd better get them while you can, we won't be getting any more.")

I realize that this phenomenon isn't unique to the beer business. I'm well aware that other retailers have to buy seasonal items in advance, but for the most part we aren't talking about perishable goods, except perhaps for candy and such; in some retail situations, seasonal goods leftover can be put into storage until the following year (I'll bet you can do that with Easter Peeps! :) )

I suppose that I'm just impressed by the degree that these sorts of decisions have been pushed-up on our calendars. It seems a bit excessive to me.

I agree that the availability of seasonal beers is a bit wonky (I feel like I was seeing summer beers in March and winter beers in October). But with Oktoberfest beers, I really don't mind. Beyond the historic timing of the brewing process in Bavaria, there's no reason that a Märzen can't be enjoyed year-round. To me it just doesn't have the same tie to the season that, say, Oberon has to summer or Delirium Noël has to winter.

I understand that, in Germany, Oktoberfest really begins in September, as a sort-of welcoming to autumn, and celebration of the harvest, which makes complete sense. After all, autumn technically begins around September 21st in the northern hemisphere.

Not to nitpick (ok, yes I *am* nitpicking) but Oktoberfest, historically, has nothing to do with the harvest, etc. The first Oktoberfest was held to celebrate the marriage of Prince Ludwig to Princess Therese (hence the naming of the grounds to Theresienwiese) on Oct 12, 1810. We went a couple of years back and what a damn fine party it is!

Right now, I can't find myself drinking anything other than a nice hefeweizen. The Weihenstaphaner - when I can find it - is nothing short of brilliant. A close second is the Ayinger, which Suman stocks regularly at Fenwick Beer and Wine in Silver Spring. Imagine - a high quality beer store in MoCo!!

So - the first two "autumn" beers I tried this fall were the Sierra Nevada Tumbler and the Sam Adams Oktoberfest. Both perfectly quaffable beers when it's not blistering hot out.

And Ragtime has them both on tap. UH OH. (And Bell's Two Hearted. Sigh. Back to Ragtime for dinner, I think...)