Lunch near 1st and O St NW

mbalaver

My volunteer group is working around 1st and O Streets, NW tomorrow and I'm planning ahead for lunch. The criteria are close. quick, inexpensive (the group nixed Moroni & Bros as too expensive when we were working near there), and able to accommodate six to eight people who've spent the morning tearing apart a deck under an August sun. Any suggestions? Does Big Bear Cafe serve food and, if so, can they handle that many people at once? Another options might be Litteri, which I've been wanting to go to for ages -- I assume that would mean bringing sandwiches back to the site. Taylor might also be a possibility. Am I missing anything?

My volunteer group is working around 1st and O Streets, NW tomorrow and I'm planning ahead for lunch. The criteria are close. quick, inexpensive (the group nixed Moroni & Bros as too expensive when we were working near there), and able to accommodate six to eight people who've spent the morning tearing apart a deck under an August sun. Any suggestions? Does Big Bear Cafe serve food and, if so, can they handle that many people at once? Another options might be Litteri, which I've been wanting to go to for ages -- I assume that would mean bringing sandwiches back to the site. Taylor might also be a possibility. Am I missing anything?

Big Bear does have a large communal table inside, but there's no guarantee it wouldn't be crammed with laptop users when you got there. You could push several of the outdoor patio tables together, though.

Honestly my first thought would be Taylor's for price/convenience/good food. If carry out is really an option there is Jam Doung for hole-in-the-wall Jamaican at Randolph and N Capitol. I think you'd need buy in from the group on that one, but their goat curry is pretty freaking good. Litteri's is a bit more of a hike from 1st and O than any of these.

EDIT: Yes, Big Bear does serve food but it is limited to 3-4 sandwiches, a couple salads and a soup usually.