Eating in Asian Supermarkets

Not sure if there are previous posts, but these lunch boxes are a true find. The smaller Asian markets (same center with Michaels noodles in Rockville, Thai Market in SS, by Sam;s in Wheaton, plus more...) All have hot food cases full of prepared dishes. Generally you get a huge portion of rice-plus 3 choices....for 5$ ish. It's a great way to sample authentic foods without a huge investment.

Some have a few tables. Most of the time you end up pointing at what you want...

Yesterday I had fried tofu cubes in a spicy red carmelized sauce, chicken with mushrooms, and fresh bamboo with pork. 5$ They also gave me a few pieces of beef stomac to try, which was very good. This lunch was at the Rockville market.

I have had lunch a few times at Great Wall in Merrifield. Great selection (~ 20 choices) of home style Chinese food. Three choices plus rice and (awful) soup for $5.99. They also have a few Dim Sum items, congee, a number of baked buns and excellent roast pig/duck/chicken as well as a few better soups than the free one with the $5.99 special.

Super H in Fairfax has a number of different food places to choose from. You aren't limited to just one. There's a place with a large assortment of Korean and Chinese-Korean food (Evergreen), there's fresh sushi and there's fried chicken. There are also always samples of food being given away and sold throughout the store. We go on Saturday and eat lunch and then do our weekly shopping but some days just the food samples are enough to slake that lunchtime hunger.