Desperado's Burgers and Bar, U Street

I stopped by Desperado's on Friday for a late burger-and-fries dinner. What a great freaking burger.

My bacon-and-cheddar ($9.50) was cooked to a beautiful medium rare, with a really thick, crunchy sear. The crispy fries ($3.50) aren't quite as thick as a steak fry, but on the thicker side, and came with a Granville Moore's-style sauce array: cajun, chipotle, honey mustard and one other. The wings also looked great, but I haven't given them a shot yet.

My only complaint are the beer prices. The $7 drafts were in the Stella / Blue Moon range, and I ended up drinking $4 Bud Bottles with dinner... before scooting next door to Bistro La Bonne to enjoy their far-superior beer list.

They also deliver, which sounds horribly dangerous to me.

Alex

I stopped by Desperado's on Friday for a late burger-and-fries dinner. What a great freaking burger.

Went back for lunch last week... and my med-rare burger came out med-well, with just the barest hint of pink. The staff (Polly's vets!) were apologetic, but the aforementioned "great freaking burger" was nowhere to be seen.

Fries were still good, though, and I'm a sucker for their creole mayo dipping sauce.

Alex