"Top 100" Chinese restaurants

Rhone1998

Chinese Restaurant News announces their Top 100 Chinese Restaurants. The local places that made the list are a bit of an odd lot. I couldn't find much about their methodology except that the list is "gaining more recognition and prestige with every passing year". :) Anyone know anything about how this is put together? I'm guessing it involves some, er, exchange of consideration perhaps...?

Chinese Restaurant News announces their Top 100 Chinese Restaurants. The local places that made the list are a bit of an odd lot. I couldn't find much about their methodology except that the list is "gaining more recognition and prestige with every passing year". :) Anyone know anything about how this is put together? I'm guessing it involves some, er, exchange of consideration perhaps...?

From the looks of this list, I believe your deduction of "exchange of consideration" may be correct. On one of the Best Of lists, two VA restaurants, one in Marion, VA? Please. Have you ever been to Marion? If there's a Chinese restaurant there, it might be the only restaurant in town.

Right after Ming's opened in Chinatown, they had a series of pennants proclaiming that they were a "Top 100 Chinese Restaurant." Maybe all you have to do is buy the pennents.

Edited to add: and here they are, made it to the top of the healthy menu section in the first week of being open.

Edited by Sthitch

Click. The bottom of the page has the breakdown of how they came up with the scores. That mystery dining company has got to be pretty busy.

From the looks of this list, I believe your deduction of "exchange of consideration" may be correct. On one of the Best Of lists, two VA restaurants, one in Marion, VA? Please. Have you ever been to Marion? If there's a Chinese restaurant there, it might be the only restaurant in town.

OTOH, in the hamlet of Arrington Va., in Nelson county south of Charlottesville, there is Thai Siam take-out which some serious persons have said is among the best Thai places in the US. You may recall I brought it up just about 1 year ago when several of us had lunch in C'ville, at some place that isn't truly there any longer, with a friend who isn't with us any longer, and about which I have at most a very hazy recollection........

So it can happen. Not to say that it did in this case.