Phillip's Cafe

I am beyond happy that there is finally a not only decent, but really delicious place to get sandwiches near Union Station. No more mediocre Phillips and Au Bon Pain sandwiches for me!

A fairly recent addition to the NoMa/Union Station area is a new outpost of Phillips Café that has raised the sandwich quality well above where it has been before. While I would have agreed with AllisonW’s comments based on visits to the F St. location, the new one at the corner of 1st and K Streets NE produces a much better sandwich, and far more consistent than what I have gotten from Toscana Café.

They serve a delicious house roasted brisket that has just the right amount of warm fat to season the bread, but not so much as to make it soggy. The other meats are also cooked in house and carved as you order.

It seems that each location is independently owned, and quality has varied based on which one I have visited, the NoMa location is far and away the best of the lot.

(I have also seen one of the board's moderators frequenting this location)

A fairly recent addition to the NoMa/Union Station area is a new outpost of Phillips Café that has raised the sandwich quality well above where it has been before. While I would have agreed with AllisonW’s comments based on visits to the F St. location, the new one at the corner of 1st and K Streets NE produces a much better sandwich, and far more consistent than what I have gotten from Toscana Café.

They serve a delicious house roasted brisket that has just the right amount of warm fat to season the bread, but not so much as to make it soggy. The other meats are also cooked in house and carved as you order.

A worker at Mike's Cafe near Ballston said it was part of the Phillips group. However, I haven't seen fresh brisket at Mike's although that would be a welcome addition to the fresh roasted turkey.