Barbecue Battle XIX

Grand Champion of Barbecue Battle XIX is the team from Pork Barrel Barbecue, who are on the verge of opening their restaurant on Mount Vernon Avenue in Del Rey in July.

See Washington Post Smoke Signal columnist Jim Shahin's Tweets and more in his blog on the Washington Post's website tomorrow.

My sauce was entered in the BBQ Battle's sauce competition, but didn't place in the top 4. B)

I was awarded, however, a huge trophy with a heavy marble base and engraved plaque, for winning the Post's sauce contest. :D

Grand Champion of Barbecue Battle XIX is the team from Pork Barrel Barbecue, who are on the verge of opening their restaurant on Mount Vernon Avenue in Del Rey in July.

See Washington Post Smoke Signal columnist Jim Shahin's Tweets and more in his blog on the Washington Post's website tomorrow.

My sauce was entered in the BBQ Battle's sauce competition, but didn't place in the top 4. :D

I was awarded, however, a huge trophy with a heavy marble base and engraved plaque, for winning the Post's sauce contest. :)

Congratulations again, Zora. Every time we go to the Del Ray market, I look longingly across the road for signs of Pork Barrel opening, but there seems to be a ways to go. B)

Congratulations again, Zora. Every time we go to the Del Ray market, I look longingly across the road for signs of Pork Barrel opening, but there seems to be a ways to go. B)

I don't know if I would trust my BBQ palate, fledgling though it is, to a couple guys who were Hill staffers but still don't know how to spell "Capitol". Sounds like a Re-Publican conspiracy. (I made Zora's sauce again last night, substituting lemon for lime and Szechuan chili bean paste for Sriracha. The result was, as Frank 'n' Furter sang, "erotic nightmares to treasure forever." Thank you, Zora.)

Jim Shahin from the Post has organized a "barbecue crawl" for the 19th of July, and Pork Barrel is one of the three places we are visiting. (The others are Rocklands and Hill Country.) I was chatting with the guys from Pork Barrel lat night, and they said they'd be open by then. Either that, or we'll be getting a private soft opening.