The Big BBQ Crawl

zoramargolis

click

So, d'ya think that having three old Weber Kettles in my yard that I no longer use make me a hoarder? I kind of think of it as a citybilly version of old refrigerators and cars up on blocks--I might need the spare grill space some day. :unsure:

If it does, then I guess I'm a citybilly/hoarder, too (some would argue the latter...pbthhtt to them!). My collection (a Weber Kettle, a gas grill, and a Weber Q) is still in use, so I think I should get points for that :mellow:

Sounds like a fun outing - so glad you were able to go and check it all out. We made your sauce recently and definitely agree that they gave the blue ribbon to the right person!

click

So, d'ya think that having three old Weber Kettles in my yard that I no longer use make me a hoarder? I kind of think of it as a citybilly version of old refrigerators and cars up on blocks--I might need the spare grill space some day. :mellow:

Love this article. What a cool day you had. The pics alone are priceless. Thanks for sharing, Zora!

click

So, d'ya think that having three old Weber Kettles in my yard that I no longer use make me a hoarder? I kind of think of it as a citybilly version of old refrigerators and cars up on blocks--I might need the spare grill space some day. :mellow:

So glad you did not fall down, Zora. So, what did you think about the chow?

So glad you did not fall down, Zora. So, what did you think about the chow?

The kitchen/smoke room floors at both of the working restaurants were clean and had recently been mopped, but both places' floors had a film of grease that was obviously not possible to eliminate. The tips of my crutches felt like they were sliding on ice. It was a little scary, and there were some places on the tours that I just viewed from a safe distance.

Hill Country's moist brisket was the "Meat Of The Day" as far as I was concerned. I wasn't wowed by any of ribs I tasted that day, whether due to flavor, texture or both, and Rockland's was the only place that served us pork shoulder. I've been eating Rockland's ribs, brisket and sliced pork since we moved to DC in1996, so their meats and sides are very familiar to me. I liked several of Hill Country's sides a lot. Pork Barrel's kitchen is not functioning yet--we tasted food cooked at someone's home-- so it is impossible to say how their restaurant's food will taste.