A Chat With Terry Theise

DonRocks

Can you help this novice by saying more about what you mean by "type"?  Maybe with an example, and guidance about how to "go deep" into that type?  Thanks!

You could do it by varietal or by region, or both if they intersect. So for instance, drink nothing but Sauvignon Blanc and Syrah. Or nothing but Chianti and Riesling (even more specifically starting with, say, Mosel Riesling and morphing into other German regions and then beyond Germany). Then just buy whatever you can afford, and, guided by your books, start yankin' corks and slurpin'.

Terry,

Two questions.

1) What style of glass do you prefer to for Champagne? 

2) What Champagne rhymes with "hurt" when pronounced correctly?

1) Flutes of varying roundness. I keep three different types, using the narrower bowl for Chardonnay-based Champagnes and going wider as the red-grape proprtion increases, or as the wine gets older (in which case I don't want to quash all those yummy secondary aromas). I also have two of the Richard Juhlin glasses I sometimes use for primo stuff. One thing is I always use two different glasses (one for me one for my sweetie) so that we can compare.

That said, I appreciate TASTING Champagne from "wine" glasses, either INAOs or else the many tulip-shaped glasses you see in growers' places in the region. I prefer to drink Champagne from flutes because I appreciate the beauty of the mousse.

2) Ah yes, the Austria story. The offending Champagne was Deutz, which does rhyme with "hurts" and not with (ex)ploits.