WSJ's DC "Insider" Restaurant Picks, Jan 2013

hoosiereph

Saturday's Wall Street Journal features DC as the destination for its weekly "Journal Concierge," in which four local professionals add their tips (for shopping and tourism as well as restaurants) to a travel writer's article. The "insiders" and their picks:

Mame Reiley: Union Market ("incredible local food market . . . top-grade")

Jose Andres: Toki Underground ("try the Toki classic"); Rocklands Barbeque ("The ribs are the best around -- just plain awesome")

Juleanna Glover: The Bombay Club ("isn't at all trendy, but it serves the best food in town"); The Source ("ask the chef for the brown rice with Asian vegetables and tofu in soy glaze -- it's not on the menu"); Pearl Dive Oyster Palace ("an unusual scene . . . more beautiful people every time")

Mark Bloomfield: La Chaumiere ("my French wife's and my neighborhood favorite"); Paul Maison de Qualite ("my favorite lunch spot on K Street").

Jose and I must either have very different tastes in ribs or very different experiences at Rocklands. Overall, looks like the code of omerta is alive and well when the New York reporters come calling!

Go ahead and diss Rockland's if you must. I acknowledge that my experience of local bbq options isn't exhaustive, but of the many I have tried in this area, (including the ones included in the bbq crawl I was taken on by Jim Shahin, who writes the Smoke Signals column for the Post), Rockland's was the best, IMO.

Years ago I drove out to Johnny Boy's in La Plata 24 hours after stopping at the original Dreamland Drive In in Tuscaloosa. Yes, it was a step down. But given the picnic table ambience and corn on the cob (a few kernals were already on the ground when we sat down) along with some seriously good ribs it was a short step.

I realize that BBQ, like burgers and other things, were invented partly to stoke endless and fun debates which noone can truly and definitively "win." Irregardless, two questions of clarification if okay:

Go ahead and diss Rockland's if you must. I acknowledge that my experience of local bbq options isn't exhaustive, but of the many I have tried in this area, (including the ones included in the bbq crawl I was taken on by Jim Shahin, who writes the Smoke Signals column for the Post), Rockland's was the best, IMO.

Zora, just to clarify (because I'm curious and because you make that amazing, award-winning 'Q sauce), by "this area" do you mean just within the borders of the District? Or, also inclusive of the MD and VA suburbs and exurbs? If the former, I'd agree readily. Whether or not exhaustive, have you been to Urban (Rockville) or KBQ when it was in Bowie?

Never made it to Ned and Buzz's in Richmond, I take it.There is no really good BBQ in this are.

Same question. Have you been to Urban or KBQ? If you have, did you not think either or both pretty good?

Same question. Have you been to Urban or KBQ? If you have, did you not think either or both pretty good?

I have to admit that I've not been to either of those two. I was a fan of B'z in Leesburg until he sold out to someone who has no idea what BBQ should be. Come Springtime (and warm weather), a BBQ trip on a Saturday is always welcomed (and scheduled quite often).

I've been to all 4.

From a ribs perspective, I thought KBQ was every bit as good as Buz and Ned's, with Urban a close second, and Rocklands trailing.

Brisket is tricky. B&N's was excellent, but I've only been once. I've had great brisket from Urban, but it's also a meat that degrades quickly, so I've had some just ok brisket from them as well when it's been sitting for a while (same for Rocklands - all over the map). I wasn't a fan of the brisket at KBQ.

Agree with DanielK on the rib analysis. Haven't (yet) had the brisket at Urban and think I had one very good and one less good exp with it at KBQ. Pulled pork at KBQ was also excellent; haven't ordered that at Urban either, which has just been The Rib place for us so far.

Would say also that Urban has the best sides of the lot with collards, beans and the mac & cheese all better than the norm.

Zora, just to clarify (because I'm curious and because you make that amazing, award-winning 'Q sauce), by "this area" do you mean just within the borders of the District? Or, also inclusive of the MD and VA suburbs and exurbs? If the former, I'd agree readily. Whether or not exhaustive, have you been to Urban (Rockville) or KBQ when it was in Bowie?

As I said, I have not made a personal pilgrimage to all the 'cue places around to find "the best bbq": I have been to Red Hot & Blue, Hill Country, Pork Barrel, the one out in Emmitsburg, and both the Glover Park and Arlington branches of Rockland's. Of those, IMO Rockland's is the most authentic in terms of the cooking method (ie. wood only, not electric enhanced by smoke) and to me the tastiest. YMMV and to each his own taste.