Red wine chocolate cake

Rieux

Has anyone ever made a Red wine chocolate cake? I saw this recipe (link) in one of my Cucina Italiana magazines and was thinking of making it tonight to bring to a dinner party tomorrow. It sounds good, I mean who doesn't like wine and chocolate, but any first-hand experiences?

Has anyone ever made a Red wine chocolate cake? I saw this recipe (link) in one of my Cucina Italiana magazines and was thinking of making it tonight to bring to a dinner party tomorrow. It sounds good, I mean who doesn't like wine and chocolate, but any first-hand experiences?

Make a test run today. It's always risky to make a new-to-you recipe when you are cooking to share with others. Or, Plan B, have a backup dessert to bring.

Nope, but I get the same magazine and was equally intrigued. Let me know how it goes if you attempt it!

It seems good, will report back tonight after we eat it.

Recipe from Cucina Italiana Jan/Feb 2013.

Ingredients
CAKE
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for greasing pan
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 large eggs, separated
5 ounces good-quality semisweet chocolate (82%), very finely chopped. (I used Ghiradelli 82% since that is what they had at Harris Teeter)
1 cup dry red wine

RASPBERRIES
1/2 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup granulated sugar
4 cups raspberries
Whipped Cream
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 1/2 tablespoons confectioners sugar

SPECIAL EQUIPMENT: parchment paper; 9- x 3-inch or 10- x 2-inch springform pan

Instructions
For Cake: Heat oven to 350º. Grease springform pan and line bottom with parchment paper. Butter the parchment.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together butter and ½ cup sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Beat in egg yolks 1 at a time, scraping bowl as necessary. Add chocolate; beat just to combine. In 3 additions, add wine to butter mixture, alternating with flour mixture.
In a large bowl, using clean beaters, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 3/4 cup sugar and beat until the whites are firm and glossy.
Using a spatula, gently fold whites into batter just until no white streaks remain. Pour batter into prepared pan; smooth top with spatula. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to
45 minutes.
Transfer cake to wire rack; let cool in pan 10 minutes. Run a knife around pan to loosen cake; release from pan. Let cool completely on wire rack. (I let it cool and then inverted it onto a serving plate and removed the parchment. The bottom was more attractive than the top).

For Raspberries: While cake cools, bring wine and sugar to a boil in a small heavy saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves. Put raspberries in a bowl and pour the hot syrup over them, gently tossing to coat. Let stand at least 15 minutes or up to 1 day. (If preparing raspberries more than 4 hours ahead, keep covered and chilled. Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature before serving.)
For Whipped Cream: Combine cream and sugar in medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat mixture until soft peaks form.
Serve cake with raspberries and whipped cream.

• Like 1

Just a note: 82% chocolate is definitely bittersweet, not semi-sweet. Semi-sweet is generally below 62% (most available chocolate chips are semi-sweet). If the recipe calls for semi-sweet chocolate and you use 82% instead, your cake will be more chocolate-y and less sweet than the recipe intends. Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you. I much prefer bittersweet chocolate myself.

Thanks Zora, I, too, was confused, as the recipe says semi-sweet but also specifies 82%. Since I like bittersweet more than semi-sweet I decided to go with the 82%. I prefer desserts that are not too sweet, and I am going to put the berries and whipped cream on top, which have almost another 2/3 cup of sugar in them, so I think the balance will be right for me.

We will be eating this tonight, so I will report back tomorrow.

The cake was AMAZING! Actually I think it was one of my better ones, and I bake a lot. The 83% chocolate was great. The cake was moist and everyone went back for seconds. The wine added a nice flavor but was not overwhelming. Make the cream and raspberries, I think they are important additions. This goes in the regular rotation!

For the record, I used a $12 Chianti from Harris Teeter and it worked well. Plus, I got to drink the remainder while baking!

• Like 2