Indoor grills

LauraB

Apologies if there is already a thread on this topic. Did not see it.

Over the summer we will be moving from a house in Rockville to a condo in DC. The only thing about this move that I don't love is that we'll have to give up our outdoor grill. We grill often, so this will be quite a loss. I've been wondering about acquiring an indoor grill. I assume no indoor grill can come close to the results achieved with an outdoor grill. Still, I'd love to hear from those of you who use one and any suggestions you have for features and brands that you'd recommend. Thanks!

I have a lot of outside grills, but I've been thinking about this, too, & just purchased Steven Raichlen's Indoor Grilling (great book, he's an excellent cookbook author). He breaks indoor grills into 7 categories- contact grills (Foreman, Cuisinart griddler), grill pans, built-in grills, freestanding grills (I'm looking at the Zojirushi), fireplace grills, countertop rotisseries, & stovetop smokers. All the recipes cover tips for most of these options.

I have a tiny, ancient Foreman grill that really needs to go, a grill pan (but a glass top stove, so it doesn't work well), a fireplace but no grill & I'm thinking about a larger contact grill & also the Zojirushi. I also picked up another outside grill recently, a really cute terracotta elephant at World Market, that will only hold a handful of skewers at a time, but did I mention how cute it is?

I have a lot of outside grills, but I've been thinking about this, too, & just purchased Steven Raichlen's Indoor Grilling (great book, he's an excellent cookbook author). He breaks indoor grills into 7 categories- contact grills (Foreman, Cuisinart griddler), grill pans, built-in grills, freestanding grills (I'm looking at the Zojirushi), fireplace grills, countertop rotisseries, & stovetop smokers. All the recipes cover tips for most of these options.

I have a tiny, ancient Foreman grill that really needs to go, a grill pan (but a glass top stove, so it doesn't work well), a fireplace but no grill & I'm thinking about a larger contact grill & also the Zojirushi. I also picked up another outside grill recently, a really cute terracotta elephant at World Market, that will only hold a handful of skewers at a time, but did I mention how cute it is?

Thanks for mentioning the Raichlen book. I had not heard of it. It was another Raichlen book, How to Grill, that allowed me to overcome my fear of grilling years ago. Sounds like it would be a good guide in this process. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.