Korea: Now In To Order Mountains of French Fries (Photo)

Joe H

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/02/28/kids-in-korea-order-250-in-french-fries-piss-off-everyone-at-mcdonalds-and-on-the-internet/

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/05/13/the-mega-potato-is-finally-here-mcdonalds-potato-party-fans-rejoice/

It would seem that in Korea, Japan and elsewhere it is now in for teenagers to have "french fry" parties.  McDonald's contributes to this by promoting the "MegaPotato."

Not everyone is happy.

In truth, when I was growing up Weihle's in Langley Park had a sundae called the Lincoln Memorial which was served in a washtub.  A washtub big enough for a 9 or 10 year old to sit in and take a bath.  I went to a couple of birthday parties where twenty or thirty of us would each have a spoon and try to lay waste to it.  I remember people standing around and watching us eat the thing-it was a real spectacle.

Which is exactly what Weihle's wanted.

Can you imagine the free publicity McDonald's is getting from this?  Not to mention the implication that their french fries are good enough to buy this many of?  (They are not.)

Although I prefer ice cream to McDonald's french fries the event is probably very similar.  The employee who complained should be given a bonus!  Or hired by Burger King...

• Like 1

In truth, when I was growing up Weihle's in Langley Park had a sundae called the Lincoln Memorial which was served in a washtub. 

It was, if I recall, $29.95. It wasn't *as* big as we thought, though it sure as hell seemed that way on the menu which we read in complete awe - I remember it being 16 scoops (for the 16th President - athough it might have been 50 scoops for $79.95 - which makes so much more sense because it was their largest offering BY FAR, and was almost surely for a large party). I'm not quite sure. What I *am* sure of is that the Lincoln Memorial was their biggest offering, and they had a pamphlet of big offerings with names such as this - Jefferson Memorial, etc. Man, I'd love to see one again just to check my faulty memory.

It's pretty damned scary that *I* am now considered one of the final people who remember things such as this.