My last post of this morning--I felt I had to share of this special little place before I forget about its details.

I cannot remember how I came upon reading about Sakaya, a mom-n-pop-owned store by Rick Smith and his wife, Hiroko Furukawa, but I knew it had to be on my visit list before I left Sunday evening.

A super quaint little shop in East Village, its decor and organization are remarkably Japanese in its Zen-like serenity. I could have probably spent an entire afternoon in here, looking at the different bottle sizes, options, price-point, and descriptions.

Ever so patient, Hiroko-san asked questions much like a skilled-sommelier with a first-time wine novice: dry vs. sweet, clean vs. fruity, et al. It was a very non-intimidating exchange for this unskilled, novice sake-drinker. I came away with something within my price point (under $15) without feeling like I got a "two-buck chuck."

If you are interested in learning more about sake, or already are an expert, I would recommend visiting.

They also offer online ordering, although, of course, selection will be restricted on your delivery location and state laws.

324 East 9th Street
New York, NY 10003
212.505.7253 (SAKE)